Why do we love chickens so much?

yes early morn my chuck, wants meal worms or a treat an chat, then again anhywhere from 5pmxx she is lovely,

For us, I admit, it was originally for eggs and lawn fertilizer (poop) that we got chickens. We purchased our first 4 chicks bearing the mantra "these are not pets! We will not get attached!"
Boy was I WRONG! Once they really started growing and showing their lil personalities, we were totally hooked.
Our girls bring us so much peace and amusement, they have become just as dear as our other pets, if not moreso bc they actually earn their keep! We love just watching them at sunset getting ready to go to bed. Every time they see me, they come running looking for treats. They run loose in the yard all day and de-grub the garden, eat ticks, trim and fertilize the lawn, and their antics crack everyone up! Even my parents (who are NOT farm folks) love them and think it was a fantastic idea to get them. They would have a flock of their own if they had the land...alas condo life.

As Chicken Guardians, we are all blessed that the work involved in keeping chickens is so minimal in contrast to the vast rewards. Their hearts beat just like ours and, as such, should be treated with dignity. Like humans, they simply want to spend time with their families. When you treat a chickens' life with respect, you are rewarded with an animal that most chicken farmers never see and most chickens never become. I believe nurturing life helps nurture ones' soul.
Raising chickens for meat or eggs in battery cages is disgusting and should be outlawed. I truly believe that the misery of the bird directly affects the health of the person eating it. Although I am not a vegetarian, I believe that not just Americans but the world as a whole consumes way too much meat. Banning battery cage-raised chickens would free up millions of acres previously used for growing grain for chicken feed and could be converted to growing veg/fruit for humans. Eating meat 2-3x/week isn't only plenty, but will definitely save your family money.
FYI: I do raise 12 meat chickens and purchase a butchered cow and pig each year for our meat supply. I do eat meat but if it comes down to going without or buying meat from an animal who had never seen the sun, felt the earth beneath its' feet, or smelled fresh-cut grass - I see that as a line I, a fellow animal, will not cross.
These are my views and I do not expect everyone to agree but I do believe the each and everyone should atleast look into animal rights, educate themselves, and find out where your views stand. It's easy to buy "slave meat/eggs" when you choose not to open your eyes to what is really going on. Afterwards, if the idea of battery raised chickens doesn't offend you, buy as much as you like.
hc
I totally agree with you HouseCat. I haven't got anything else to say on that matter because you've said it all!
I don't think it's "wrong" to eat animals at all: on the contrary. However, it is the way they are killed and the conditioned they lived in before. I used to live on a farm and would help with the sheep there. They lived in fresh green fields with a little woodland their whole lives, until the age of about 3 (I can't remember the exact age: I think it was 3 anyway). they would then be lured into the empty barn with a bucket of feed. They were kept quite tame so that at this stage they wouldn't be stressed out. They would be taken in one at a time. A quick shot and that was the end. No stress. This was not my doing remember: all the credit goes to the farmer! I would have been very happy to eat that meat: except I have been a vegeterian all my life and so, although I became happy to eat meat, I didn't - and still don't - like the taste of it! If all other animals were treated with even as much respect (hopefully more) the world would be a much better place!

T.

I love my Chickens I have three hens and one Rooster who is just learning to crow in the morning, not sure what my neighbors will think? I think the best form of relaxation is sitting with my coffee and watching them run and jump around after bugs and chasing my little dog around the yard. lynne Allen
D.gif

We (my grand daughter and I) got our first chicken when she was two. She saw a picture of a chicken on the cover of my gardening magazine and said "nana, I wanna chicken". So that was that. Her father helped me construct a house and a fenced "chicken run".While we have lost many, many baby or young chicks to my Yorkie (he must think they are rats) we have bought more every Spring and now have quite a little group of hens. Unfortunately we also have one very aggressive Americano rooster, which I am trying to give away. But now that she is about to turn 8, she still wants to go "get the eggs" every time she comes to my house. And wants to go to the "chicken store" - her name for the Feed store, or to Tractor Supply. I love the chickens for their eggs and for watching. As a retiree my Chickens keep me busy and gives me a reason to get up and get busy in the am. As we age we all need a purpose to keep us active and interested. But the main reason that I love the chickens, #1: My GRAND daughter loves them.

I've loved chickens since I was a child, but back then my father culled those that I'd named and loved. Now I'm in charge and no one will die until nature takes them. My sweetest hen is named Sassafras, or Sassy for short. She loves to be picked up, and when I pet her she closes her eyes and makes little purring sounds. If I hold her to my chest and pet her, she'll put her head against my neck and rest there. There's also the charm of watching them dust bathe, their interactions with one another (mine get along very well), and the funny way that they jump up (like popcorn) to get treats that are hung above their heads. And then there's that egg song after they've produced my breakfast....

For us, I admit, it was originally for eggs and lawn fertilizer (poop) that we got chickens. We purchased our first 4 chicks bearing the mantra "these are not pets! We will not get attached!"
Boy was I WRONG! Once they really started growing and showing their lil personalities, we were totally hooked.
Our girls bring us so much peace and amusement, they have become just as dear as our other pets, if not moreso bc they actually earn their keep! We love just watching them at sunset getting ready to go to bed. Every time they see me, they come running looking for treats. They run loose in the yard all day and de-grub the garden, eat ticks, trim and fertilize the lawn, and their antics crack everyone up! Even my parents (who are NOT farm folks) love them and think it was a fantastic idea to get them. They would have a flock of their own if they had the land...alas condo life.
Amen to this post! The poop is a great byproduct, but there's SO much more! I forgot to add the nighttime rituals to my post, but I love watching it. My friends are equally charmed, but most think that it's too much work. Boy, are they wrong!

I've had ducks before in an effort to manage the bugs, but I wasn't really set up for them. After a 2 year break, I got chickens this last spring to help with the overpopulation of bugs in my organic yard, since I refuse to use chemicals....
I didn't think that they would be so easy to care about. I love the way they sound and I could watch them for hours...
It took A LOT more effort and money than I thought it would, but late last night I finally finished the hen house for my girls....it snowed this morning. Thank goodness I finally got them under a good roof to get them out of the weather. It looks pretty good if I do say so myself. I'll post images this weekend, when I've got more time.
They are wondering around the yard this morning wondering about all the changes. New Digs? What's this white stuff? It's cold on my feet! Where have all the bugs gone?
This weekend I'll get their run finished! Hopefully they will continue to provide me with eggs through out the winter.

When we moved to our 6 acres from the LA area 18 years ago I was into horses and didn't have time for chickens. When my horse died a few years ago, I decided not to get another one, but I was "lonely" for the affection I used to share with my horse. Some friends of mine had chickens and suddenly it sounded like fun. So my husband and I started the process. We bought our babies and put them in the pump house which was kept warm anyway. We have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Barred Rocks, 1 Black Sexlink, 1 Rhode Island Red, 3 Golden Laced Wyandottes, & 1 Speckled Sussix. We got a local guy to build our hen house. It is worthy of HGTV. When they were big enough we moved them all into it. It has been so much fun watching them develop their personalities. We have them named. We go out in the evening to feed them their favorites, freeze dried millworms. They go crazy for those. I love the way they stoop for me to pet them or pick them up, We don't have a rooster, so ours is a nunnery! We love the eggs they produce, and they are a triip and a half to be around. Our one problem is keeping them in our yard. Sadly we lost our Golden Sexlink to the dog next door. We are fixing that. My "girls" are filling my lonely places. I thank God for my girls.

Back
Top Bottom