Why do we need a loud bossy rooster?!?!...Oh, that's WHY!!!

Duckee

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Southern Illinois

SKIPPER IS ROOSTER OF THE YEAR!

Today my little 3 month old bantam rooster risked his life to save his 14 bantam girl friends!!!

A big hawk/falcon decided to attack my chickadees in daylight while they were free ranging before being put up for the night. Mind you, me and hubby were right there with them! That predator did not care!

Before hubby and I could figure out what that heck that thing was doing and what was going on, Skipper was in full frontal attack mode! While he was confronting the enemy he was also making a wierd noise that apparently told the girls to hide and play dead, which they did! After the long few seconds it took for us to figure it all out...we started running and clapping and yelling to scare the enemy off. After it left, Skipper went around and took a head count of his girls. He then patroled for a while, with the girls still lifeless looking in hiding. When Skipper felt all was ok he began to crow and make this other weird sound. With that, all the girls came running. When they were all gathered to him, he led them to the coop! Then we secured them in.

As we sat back in amazement and watched our young Skipper through his process to risk his life for the safety of his girls, it became VERY CLEAR to us why we need a loud bossy rooster!!! He was already our favorite, but today he gained the utmost respect from us as well...oh, and tons of treats for a lifetime!

FYI: He also makes sure all the girls eat first, comes out of the coop first to make sure all is clear then calls them out, keeps track and herds them while free ranging, herds them in at bed time, and breaks up chic fights! He has come to me squaking when a girl was stuck and guided me to her, and taken off treats ive given him and dropped them in front of the others to eat! And he is never bossy with us, he is very submissive to us. NONE OF THIS I ever knew a rooster does!

CROW AWAY SKIPPER, CROW AWAY OUR LITTLE BOSSY ROOSTER!

When I was a teenager I had a rooster that sounds much like this one. I saved him from a grocery store Easter sale. He was all bloody from the other chicks, barely moving and had pasty butt. I expected he would die the first night, but he pulled through. He lived in my room alone for over a month before we got the coop built and more chicks for company. My parents wanted to give him the ax as soon as he started crowing, but he was great with the hens and displayed super predator protection, so they let him stay.
He was really good with people for about the first year, but then he started charging my mom and sisters when the hens free ranged or if folks went in the run. He would still come to me for neck scratches every time I sat down, but no one else could come near the hens. He tagged my mom pretty bad with his talons and he had to go. We had friends who kept a large flock for free rage egg sale. Their rooster had just been killed by a dog so he got to become lord protector of 60 hens and 3 beta roos. They said he was the best Roo they ever kept. Hardly ever fought with the betas even at the beginning, just came strutting in knowing he owned it all. Plus his temperament mellowed to people once he had more hens to juggle and/or other roos for back up.
We on the other hand lost all of our 8 hens within a month of his leaving, eagles started picking them off when they free ranged, and our cat killed one right in front of us, so they got to stay in the coop. Raccoon's killed the rest through the chicken wire. In the two years we had a good rooster we only lost one hen to predators. Without him we became a buffet.

When you have a good Roo do what ever you can to keep him!!!

When I was a teenager I had a rooster that sounds much like this one. I saved him from a grocery store Easter sale. He was all bloody from the other chicks, barely moving and had pasty butt. I expected he would die the first night, but he pulled through. He lived in my room alone for over a month before we got the coop built and more chicks for company. My parents wanted to give him the ax as  soon as he started crowing, but he was great with the hens and displayed super predator protection, so they let him stay.
He was really good with people for about the first year, but then he started charging my mom and sisters when the hens free ranged or if folks went in the run. He would still come to me for neck scratches every time I sat down, but no one else could come near the hens. He tagged my mom pretty bad with his talons and he had to go. We had friends who kept a large flock for free rage egg sale. Their rooster had just been killed by a dog so he got to become lord protector of 60 hens and 3 beta roos. They said he was the best Roo they ever kept. Hardly ever fought with the betas even at the beginning, just came strutting in knowing he owned it all. Plus his temperament mellowed to people once he had more hens to juggle and/or other roos for back up. 
We on the other hand lost all of our 8 hens within a month of his leaving, eagles started picking them off when they free ranged, and our cat killed one right in front of us, so they got to stay in the coop. Raccoon's killed the rest through the chicken wire. In the two years we had a good rooster we only lost one hen to predators. Without him we became a buffet.

When you have a good Roo do what ever you can to keep him!!!     

I just rehomed his brother who was identical in all was to him. Although it was so hard for me to give him up, Im not supposed to have chickens at all, but so far my neighbors have been cool about it. I didnt want to push my luck with too much crowing. Next year I will be keeping my neighbors mouths full with eggs, fresh fruit, and fresh veggies...a fed neighbor is a quiet neighbor! LOL

Back
Top Bottom