Why do you guys keep duck, geese, swan, etc?

I never though of getting a duck, it just never entered my mind actually. But the week after we got the chicks my DBF stopped at the feed store and there just happened to be a lone little rescue duckling there free to a good home, so he immediately scooped her up. I was floored, but since I had no classes that summer I spent most of my time with her and now I can't imagine my life with out ducks. We got her a buddy and this past month I have been bugging DBF for more lol. They are so much more personable than the chickens, cuter, loving, less work, sturdier, and funnier to watch.

I keep ducks because they do my landscaping for me
big_smile.png

There is not a single weed in my back yard!

I keep my swans because years ago in college I fell in love with Black Swans at a zoo and said someday I'm getting those. They are beautiful and very personable, they make the most musical sounds when they talk to me. Mine were human imprinted and my seven year old daughter can go in and pick them up. My niece is uneasy around poultry and even she likes the swans.
I keep ducks because they are the comic relief of the farmyard. Don't get me wrong they are practical for meat and eggs as well, sturdy, easy to keep and boy howdy do they ever eat slugs. . .but if, heaven forbid, I had to choose just one kind of poultry to keep it would be a difficult decision between ducks and geese.
The geese we keep because they taste good, they eat grass if its available, they look beautiful in the pasture or on the front lawn. They are amusing in their own way. Geese do every thing by committee. They get together and talk about it first, next and last. I think our political leaders must be an awful lot like my geese.
I notice you didn't ask about quail, pheasant, peafowl, turkey, or guinea. . .yup we have them too.
lol.png
All have their own uses and charms.

I just started to keep geese and ducks.

The geese are for lawnmowing, eating, eggs, and to be a "watch dog" of sorts.

The ducks are for eggs, bug eradication and eating.

I really want a peacock as well and if I had the space a pair of swans.

Also I like the looks and personalities better and I think they smell better as well.

Last edited:
I keep my ducks as pets, they're beautiful, entertaining and just generally lovely. We also get lots of eggs from our 4 girls (at the moment we have about 40 in the fridge!) which is a bonus
big_smile.png

Quote:
Wow, where did you get swans from!? Are they not quite hard to get hold of?

Back
Top Bottom