Why do you have the birds you have?

Eggs, meat, bug patrol, and fertilizer for the garden. I have "Mutts", started with Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds which crossed and blended in Easter Eggers, Austrolops, and now Jersey Giants. I hatch my own eggs and only bring in day-old chicks for Bio-security reasons. My end goal is to develop a "landrace" of large black meat/egg chickens adapted to the Midwest that will also lay colored eggs just because.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landrace

I will ALWAYS have cochins. They just have the best personalities, make great mamas, and look so darn cute in the yard. The other breeds- mostly for egg color, and personality is second. I don't wanty any agressive or flighty birds.

i've always been a bantam cochin fan, they have the best personalities and there feathered legs are so cute as they run around the yard, i've seen a millie cochin years ago from england and always wanted one, well now i have some, i've had to move to a smaller place so i had to give up my bigger laying chickens, i had them for fun and eggs
smile.png

Because they're rare, neat looking, and lay awesome egg colors.
smile.png

I have Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and Marans because of their amazing egg color, challenge to breed to the SOP for both egg color and bird type/color as well as their simple beauty and rarity.

I have Polish and Jersey Giants to add to the egg rainbow, but really, it is because of their rarity and their beauty. (Well okay to me Jersey Giants look like your average chicken, but their amazing size takes up for that) But the Polish - SO beautiful, especially in rare colors like Tolbunt and project Crele.

And of course my hatchery-stock birds were chosen by my family, but I too would choose Brahmas and I'd never think twice on my New Hampshire and Easter Egger girl.
smile.png

Oh and next year. . . I'm getting show quality Brahmas. Why? Because they're so rare, I LOOVE huge chickens, especially with fuzzy feet, and I love their temperament, body type, and so forth. Brahmas are just plain awesome. They don't need an awesome egg color or a crest or tufts or anything, they're already among my top favorite breeds!
love.gif

Eggs, meat, bug control, fertilizer, fun to watch and kids learn what it is like to be around chickens, ducks, goats and rabbits that we have.

I picked a Barred Rock because I am in NY so I wanted at least one layer in the winter, the Golden Comets because they are gorgeous and lay brown regularly and my silver Ameraucana was picked because she was pretty
D.gif
(I loved her leg color) and I didn't even know she was an Ameraucana at the time!

I knew I wanted egg layers but the more I read I knew I wanted a few heritage breeds too. I ended up getting what there was to choose from at the feed store. I went a couple of times within 2 weeks and ended up with a variety. I am happy with what I have. I know now a couple of breeds I going to watch and hold out for.

Back
Top Bottom