Why do you keep a rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CowgirlPenny, Mar 14, 2011.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:This, plus all the other reasons already stated.

2. chickery-do

chickery-do Songster

Mar 25, 2013
    Shellburne, NH
    Plus hey, the roos are just beautiful!  Those beautiful flowing tails are just wonderful, plus they can have flashier colors.  Plus, sniff the pic is gone, but having a 5 y/o carrying around a Jersey Giant roo like a baby with a doll bonnet tied on his head?  Yeah right, how can you beat that for cute factor?  Said roo has also tolerated such abuse as to be put in doll stollers and pushed around.  While wearing a bonnet.  And at one point a doll's dress.
    [/quote]
    But, there s still the horrifying ones that will go crazy on you! Some are no fit for kid or adults!

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. frogz

frogz In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Springfield, IL
    Pablo, my buff brahma rooster is just a doll. He is always with his harem and works hard to make sure they are happy. I also just love listening to him crow in the morning. He doesn't make much noise otherwise. Too bad he doesn't lay eggs! But he has 8 girls to do that for him. XD I keep a rooster because he's quiet, kind, and adds some atmosphere to my farm.

4. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    My first roo was an accident but I decide to keep him after I saw what a good boy he was. He's protective of his girls and alerts them to the first sign of danger. I decided I want to incubate eggs so I got a second rooster this year. He's also very sweet and helps watch over the flock. Roosters seem to mainly be used for breeding and protection, but they're also pretty nice to look at too.
    [​IMG]
    My first rooster, Hermes, an Easter egger
    [​IMG]
    My second rooster, Titan, a barred rock. This was shortly after I got him.
    I do love my boys!

5. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    But, there s still the horrifying ones that will go crazy on you! Some are no fit for kid or adults![/quote]
    Oh my gosh, that would be a hoot to see! My roosters would never let anyone do that, or even bet them. But my lab on the other hand.... LOL

6. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan

I absolutely love it when roosters find treats for their girls, I think it's one of the cutest things they do! My rooster Hermes will find "treats" but most of them will be false alarms. I went and pruned out crab apple tree and left the branches for the deer to munch on, and he found them and started throwing the small pieces up in the air and did his "treat call" all the girls ran over and looked at his small branch, have him a stink eye, and left. They didn't seem too impressed. He wasn't too heart broken and kept playing with his little branch and pulling the leaves off. This ended up going on for days. The amount of entertainment chickens provide sometime is priceless haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: