Why do you think chickens dirt bath

Aug 18, 2021
So I've heard it all from parasite prevention and treatment to cooling to heating to molting itch.
None of that makes sense to me.
I honestly think, after 7 years of watching chickens from hatch to old age dying, i believe it's to kill their scent. Hide from predators.
Ideas?

I’m a firm believer in that it is a way for them to cool down. It also suffocates the bugs and mites that may be on their bodies.

I know horses are a big stretch from chickens, but horses roll around in the dirt because it cleans them off in a way humans can’t. Elephants also spray dirt on themselves to cool down.

I’m not too sure about the scent thing, though. But then again, no one really has the mind of a chicken, so we may never truly know. 🤔

I’ve had chickens for 11 years, and I still don’t understand some of the things they do. 😂

On hot days, I've seen them dust bathe in the shade and go really deep (my personal observation), so it's my deduction that in that circumstance, they're seeking to cool themselves. I don't see them dust bathing as much, or at all, in cold or wet weather. I really love the "community spa" thing, though, where five, six or more chickens, sometimes including the rooster, get together and kick up a big ol' dust storm together. They fluff and puff and then all just relax and chill like teenagers in a hot tub. Then they all start kicking and fluffing again. It's a hoot! I feel like I should go ask if they want root beer or lemonade or something!

I love when my friends and family ask me this question. It’s my favorite thing to watch them do! I think I like how much they seem to enjoy themselves when they dust bathe. And they certainly do it with purpose. My opinion is that it is a combination of many things, including removing excess oil, helping control mites, cooling off, and social hour.

I once read a scientific article on dust bathing preferences for chickens and they always preferred sand or peat moss over other materials. Here is an excerpt from the article that might be of interest: Behavioral elements of dustbathing including vertical wing shaking, bill raking and head rubbing, with the goal of incorporating substrate throughout Galliformes' plumage (19). In so doing, it allows birds to remove stale lipids from their feathers (16, 19, 20) and dislodge ectoparasites (19, 21). Furthermore, poor or absent dustbathing substrate can lead Galliformes to become more fearful, leading to higher incidences of feather pecking

And here is the article if anyone else wants to read it.

I’m a firm believer in that it is a way for them to cool down. It also suffocates the bugs and mites that may be on their bodies.

I know horses are a big stretch from chickens, but horses roll around in the dirt because it cleans them off in a way humans can’t. Elephants also spray dirt on themselves to cool down.

I’m not too sure about the scent thing, though. But then again, no one really has the mind of a chicken, so we may never truly know. 🤔

I’ve had chickens for 11 years, and I still don’t understand some of the things they do. 😂
Ain't it the truth. The only comparison i can even make are teenage daughters!

I love when my friends and family ask me this question. It’s my favorite thing to watch them do! I think I like how much they seem to enjoy themselves when they dust bathe. And they certainly do it with purpose. My opinion is that it is a combination of many things, including removing excess oil, helping control mites, cooling off, and social hour.

I once read a scientific article on dust bathing preferences for chickens and they always preferred sand or peat moss over other materials. Here is an excerpt from the article that might be of interest: Behavioral elements of dustbathing including vertical wing shaking, bill raking and head rubbing, with the goal of incorporating substrate throughout Galliformes' plumage (19). In so doing, it allows birds to remove stale lipids from their feathers (16, 19, 20) and dislodge ectoparasites (19, 21). Furthermore, poor or absent dustbathing substrate can lead Galliformes to become more fearful, leading to higher incidences of feather pecking

And here is the article if anyone else wants to read it.
Oh very interesting ! Thank you! After 7 years I'm still learning. Chickens, they seem so simple ... or maybe I'm the simple one, lol

Back
Top Bottom