Why does a rooster crow?

Quote:
Maybe that's why they went extinct. An angry neighbor shot them at 4 AM.

gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Maybe that's why they went extinct. An angry neighbor shot them at 4 AM.

gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

I can just see a bunch of tiny mammals using a sapling and some vines to rig up a huge slingshot to nail that sucker right in the skull with a large rock. That's why we rule the world - opposable thumbs, baby.

My dominant Polish cockerel is the only one of my five males who crows. He goes off in the coop in the early morning (boo-yah for good insulation - we can only hear him if we're right by the open bathroom window, and nobody else hears him at all), at around noon or so, and in the late afternoon. He'll also holler if he hears the kids next door whooping it up on their trampoline. Otherwise, he's pretty quiet. He's legal, so I couldn't care less if he crows during the day, as long as he doesn't bother us or anyone else early in the morning. As to why he does it? We figure it's because he can. He has the rockstar "hairdo," so why not the voice?

I read that the main reason a rooster crows is to stake his claim to a territory. However far his voice travels that is the size of his territory. It alerts other roosters in the area that he is there, and that the hens belong to him. Also, to alert the hens. My roosters seem to crow mostly to outcrow one another, or because they hear or see me nearby. If I am in the house they are pretty quiet, but as soon as I step outside they all start crowing! I think most of them just love the sound of their own voice.
smile.png

Territory marking, dominance assertion, a reaction from loud sounds or bright light in a dark place, etc.

After sending 5 of ours to camp Kenmore, ours are quiet around my husband - but the head roo (T-rex) still crows for me whenever I pull in the drive, or he wants his scratch in the am!

Back
Top Bottom