Why does Calypso peck her?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My chickens generally aren’t all pecking order-y and they got along fine until Garlic got a nasty scar on her head. Now when the rooster gets her Calypso my other hen will run up and peck at her head, she’s gentle every time I’ve seen her do it but she was having wounds opened up a few weeks ago. I will be getting her a helmet (along with my silkies to try to prevent wet plumages) and I think Calypso has calmed down and isn’t hurting her anymore but why does she do that?

If it helps at all Calypso is a 1 year old Austrawhite (very sassy, the lone survivor of her old 30 bird flock) and Garlic is a 2 year old EE but very very sweet and cuddly with my hens

The photo of Garlic is old, she’s a lot more healed up. But I’m not sure if her feathers will regrow (my old not fixed male rabbit got bored over the winter and I think he bit her ripping her eyelid off along with a lot of her head, I rehomed him right away and he now lives with goats)

Attachments

• IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 6
Sometimes hens will attack the hen being mated by the rooster. Seems like jealousy to me, but may just be a survival instinct to be the only reproducing hen in the flock.

The other thought is the one is trying to dominate the other. Since the one is wounded it could make it more vulnerable to pecking order changes, so it's being targeted. Not much you can do except separate birds.

Sometimes hens will attack the hen being mated by the rooster. Seems like jealousy to me, but may just be a survival instinct to be the only reproducing hen in the flock.

The other thought is the one is trying to dominate the other. Since the one is wounded it could make it more vulnerable to pecking order changes, so it's being targeted. Not much you can do except separate birds.
I haven’t seen the issue lately thankfully, Garlic has been roosting a lot but there’s not much I can do for her other then wait till she feels better. But she has also been walking around with the flock peacefully and happily for awhile

Back
Top Bottom