why does my blue runner have spots?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jeaucamom, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    [​IMG]

This is my son's Blue Runner, and he was wondering why it has polka dots on it? I was thinking maybe its a splash?

2. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    blue ducks can have black spots on them (sometimes called ink spots). There's nothing wrong with your duck, it just doesn't have not "perfect" coloration.

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Interesting... I got my blue as an adult, so don't know what he looked like as a duckling. He has fathered some ducklings but the females are fawn and white and buff. I don't remember any dots though. Hope someone can help you.

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Our Blue runners have the same thing going for them and they stay for the rest of their lives. It's cool and normal.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It could be a Splash Runner. Since Blue is one of those weird genetic colors that can produce Blue, Black, and Splash, it could be possible.

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My Rner that died was covered in black speckles and white speckles, she was very pretty. I also hathed out 3 blue runners and sold them at 3 weeks old, the peole brought them back after 4 weeks unwanted and they were a mass of blue and plack splodges..I think its pretty..some dont

7. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:my blues have these too. perfectly normal [​IMG]

8. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    So why aren't these splash ducks? Is the genetics for getting blue in ducks different than in chickens? Wouldn't they still come out blue black and splash? Splash isn't a fault in chickenland.. why is it a fault for ducks?

9. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    The blue dilution gene's expression is highly variable. Some ducks will be dark or lighter than "normal" and some will have spots despite being genetically "blue"

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a blue Runner drake in with F&W, brown, blue, silver and lavender femailes. This is what i got from my hatch this week...(back) lavender, blue, silver, (front) black, blue bibbed....a multitude of blues thru out the ducklings apart from the black. The blues and blue bibbed with probably have black and white speckles thru them too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by