Why does my cockerel grab at the back of the hens heads and necks?

That is a fantastic statement made by ridgerunner, that even taught me something that I didn't know.

Totally agree! That was such an enlightening and educational post. I feel like sharing that info far and wide because with all my research, I had never found this type of detail about the beginning stages of pullet and cockerel behavior. To newbies such as myself, there is so much confusion and learn as you go. But this info was just great!

Totally agree!  That was such an enlightening and educational post.  I feel like sharing that info far and wide because with all my research, I had never found this type of detail about the beginning stages of pullet and cockerel behavior.  To newbies such as myself, there is so much confusion and learn as you go.  But this info was just great!

After reading that i think if everyone was able to read that a lot more people would own roosters. I think a lot of people have culled roosters because they mistake good behavior for aggressiveness or being a nasty rooster.

After reading that i think if everyone was able to read that a lot more people would own roosters. I think a lot of people have culled roosters because they mistake good behavior for aggressiveness or being a nasty rooster.

You are spot on! I cant say that didnt cross my mind when I was worried that my cockerel was misbehaving, when he actually wasn't.

I have a hen,Bald Eagle, she was attacked this past fall. Her neck feathers did not grow back in. My rooster jumps on her but digs his beak in her neck and leaves holes in her skin. Any ideas of what I can do or use to protect her neck?. I have 9 hens total 1 rooster.

I have a hen,Bald Eagle, she was attacked this past fall. Her neck feathers did not grow back in. My rooster jumps on her but digs his beak in her neck and leaves holes in her skin. Any ideas of what I can do or use to protect her neck?. I have 9 hens total 1 rooster.
Get rid of the rooster?
Or at least isolate him away from her.

Get rid of the rooster?
Or at least isolate him away from her.

X2

I don't know if this is normal behavior or if i have a meanie in the making? My cockerel and ladies will be 17 weeks old in a few days. When I open the coop door each morning, he frantically chases the ladies around and nips at their necks. They run from him as if they are afraid. After a few minutes, he relaxes and everything is fine. The other evening he grabbed at my favorite girls neck and when she attempted to get away, the skin tore. She has been in isolation while she heals, but today I took her out because she seemed to miss her pals. At first, the cockerel kept doing dances around her as to keep the other girls away. Then, after 20 min he grabbed ahold of her neck once again. Luckily he did not grab at the wound, but he did end up pulling several feathers out. I immediately removed her.

Is this normal or do I have a bad Roo in the making? He does so good at watching over the ladies, but the grabbing at the neck so violently is worrying to me.

Feed back would be greatly appreciated :)
My rooster does exactly the same thing, he is mean to a few of them as they try to get away.

Back
Top Bottom