Why does my friendly pet rooster....

cjmama

In the Brooder
I have a friendly silkie rooster that follows me around and wants to be held and petted all the time.
I would love to know why when I pet his head or scratch his head he moveshis head back and forth while his beak opens and closes in small motions. Why is he doing this?
Other times he just closes his eyes and goes to sleep.

What a strange behavior. Maybe he is content and feels safe? I'm no chicken behavior expert but interested if you find anything out!

Perhaps he's trying to use your hand to scratch an itch he can't reach.
Kind of like when you scratch a dog's head they move down until you're scratching their butt?

lau.gif

That is too funny!!
But that is one of my thoughts of what he was doing. But sometimes he will also lay his head up against my chest and his beak will open and close continuously. ( Which I guess does resemble some of the larger parrots that do that when they are content.)
I guess I just have a weird chicken!

Hi
I too have a silkie rooster. I pet him and he goes to sleep. Really cute and nice. When you are holding them the chicken gets hot and they open their beaks. That is a good indication to let them go. If thats not it then I am not sure. Good luck :)

My roosters enjoy when her fav. hen is grooming neck and beard feathers. They stand still and hold the head down so the hen can reach the head, they often close their eys and make a funny crispy sound with the beak, It seems to be a very special favour from the hens side and a sign of trust from the roosters side.

My rooster loves having his chin scratched, by me or the hens, and he closes his eyes and opens his beak also. He was raised with turkeys and they would always preen each other at night so I think he misses that now that I sold those turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom