Why does my hen make this wierd noise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BellLisamo, Mar 18, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    She makes like a sneeze or spitting noise when i get close to her?
    Is that a warning? Like get away from me!??! I have never heard it before.

What is she doing!??!?! She better not be sick. She looks healthy as a horse, the fat thing

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Any way you can get a video? That does interest me! Doesn't sound like anything my girls do and I'm outside ALOT! Could she be going broody? It would be the right season...

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    One of my girls does this. The completely wild, untameable, Jungle Fowl mix. The only time I can get close to her is when she is roosting. When I try to touch her she makes that sneezing/spitting sound. Then she tries to bite! I bet it is a warning of some sort. (Either that, or she's allergic to me LOL.) I'll be interested if you get any other answers.

4. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    lol! i will try to get a video of it, she only does it sometimes. its so odd. if i can just keep my big huge roo away from the camera!

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Is she sitting on a nest constantly? Could be a, "I'm hatching these eggs and you're not getting them" sound. [​IMG]

6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Nope, just a spitter. It's like "bla-tah!" I'll catch her doing it tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by