Why does my hens feet look like this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlver2013, Jan 18, 2014.

1. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This hen has it the worst. Some of my other girls look like they're getting it.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Looks like leg scale mites. You will need to treat the entire flock and also clean up your coop, nest boxes and roost bar. There are products out there especially for leg scale mites that are applied to the legs of the birds. Even Ivermectin can be used to treat these mites. Read all labels and apply as directed. You can also use olive oil or even vaseline. These two last products are going to smother the mites. For the oil, you would soak the foot in the oil or paint it on really well. The vaseline will also help with those crusts on the legs and feet. Don't pick those off. Rub the vaseline all over the legs and over those crusts. It will not only help to smother the mites, but will help loosen those crustations that will fall off on their own over time. Make sure if you use the oil or vaseline that you completely cover the scales. Oil works well to get up into the scales. Retreat the birds feet daily for a few weeks.

Next you need to clean out the coop, nest boxes and the roost bar. Clean all bedding out and scrub everything down if it needs it. Use permethrin spray in the boxes, and especially the roost bar. Get all the cracks and especially under the bar as well.

It never hurts to also sprinkle some DE around too for prevention.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Here's a link to an excellent thread about leg mites:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...eed-best-easiest-quickest-solution-scaley/420

I've added my post about our OEGB roo, Sir Banty and the terrible leg mites he used to have when he first came to us. As you can see from my photos below, it takes awhile for treatment to work- does not happen just in a few days, but keep consistent.

We also dipped his legs in DE after each oil dip, and that made him MUCH happier as the oil did not transfer to his feathers, especially on the roost at night. This dip then "flour" created an "oily" mudpack as it would partially be absorbed, and I think it really helped to keep his legs well lubed, as any too dry areas would be completely white. We trimmed back his spurs after his legs became very stable.

Good luck!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by