Why does my sweet Mr.Jack act like a crazy man when he comes out of the coop????

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama

This is Ethel(the one i have the question about) and Mr.Jack my rooster. I love them both.

Mr. Jack is my Blue Laced 9 month old Wyanadotte rooster. Every morning he acts like a crazy man. He runs around the pen. When the girls come out of the coop he wants to get them(if you know what i mean). He is a fantastic rooster other than this pretty much. Two of my hens wont even hardly come out until I come out to let them out to free range(unless i am gone early in the morning).He will grab their tails whatever he can grab. He wants to get everybody too. Will he get better? Is this because he is young? Also I have a hen same breed and same age as him. She has alwaybeen a little attitudish but, the other morning I went out there and she got pretty rough with me. She pecked me once or twice tried more. She was really mean. Is it because of the way the rooster is doing her? Also my coop is small. We are planning to build a bigger one this spring or sooner. We just have 5 chickens. They have plenty room but they have to roost close together which causes alot of pecking. I know thats part of the pecking order but will this get better when they have more room and can move away from each other? Thanks

Last edited:
All guys are horny in the morning
wink.png
Chickens are just less inhibited about it! It's very normal and will likely taper off as he ages and the hormones settle a little. Just leave them be and they'll work things out on their own.

Teenage testosterone.
wee.gif
I have a Buff/Araucana mix who I got at 8 months old and he would do the same thing. He would bolt out the door in the morning and wait. Like a leopard waiting for prey, then the chase was on once a hen came out. It would go on for 45 minutes with different hens. The girls were real reluctant to come out. It all came to a stop once his first adult molt where he barely did anything. Now he is nothing but a gentleman for the most part, no more chasing, no more tackling , he just calls them over. Hopefully once yours grows up a little he will become more adept at courting the ladies.
cool.png

Last edited:
I pretty much knew this was the normal for a rooster. I was hoping someone would say eventually he will slow down about it
fl.gif
. He is a really good boy. He watches out for everybody,calls for food and all the good stuff. I really love him. We are even able to pick him up. Thanks to everyone who posted for me
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom