Why does quail make an unusual sound when laying eggs?

TobyTheQuail

Chirping
Dec 30, 2020
I've noticed that right before/after my quail lays an egg she makes a strange sound. I understand that this is a common behavior and so I am not concerned, rather just curious.

My quail used to do the egg song when they laid the egg, but now days they seem to do it randomly about once a day, no relation to when an egg has been laid or not. Strange that it might be to ward off predators, I would have thought that a quail squeaking would attract predators.

I miss hearing mine sing their egg songs. During warmer months I keep them closer to the house can can hear them singing in the afternoon.

My quail used to do the egg song when they laid the egg, but now days they seem to do it randomly about once a day, no relation to when an egg has been laid or not. Strange that it might be to ward off predators, I would have thought that a quail squeaking would attract predators.
Lol. I know, right.

I miss hearing mine sing their egg songs. During warmer months I keep them closer to the house can can hear them singing in the afternoon.
Well, I am glad to hear that those are happy noises. I thought that perhaps she was making that sound because her little butt was hurting after laying the egg. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom