Why does rain make ducks do stupid things?! * Found Oak*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well Everytime it rains over here something bad happens.

First big rain I lost five ducks to the neighbors dog and had to chase the rest of my flcok back home from a mile radius.

Second time I lost three juvnile ducks to the neighbors dog and had to round my ducks p from the neighbors pond - again.

Now, yesterday The neighbor called and one of my ducks was in his ditch. I found her, she had a few punture wounds but was otherwise alright.
    I also had four ducks Go to the neighbors pond. Two went to one pond, one went to another, and then I had one duck missing all together.

Well i found the missing duck - Oak, a choco pied muscovy who I just got from an rescue center.

SO now I have two scovie hens and my DUck Catfish at the neighbors ponds. SO As soon as they get home I'm Cutting Pigeon and Moss'e wings. They are both scovie girls, and Im not too worried about catfish.

Now - Before anyone says anything about my set up I let my ducks free range during the day ONLY when I am home. The first time the ducks were out and the rain came hard and sudden and I thought that they would be ok playing in it. I was wrong

The second time The ducks were locked p but the juveniles slipped through the fence.

And then yesterday I had just been out to check on them not even twenty minutes earlier before my ducks scattered.

So I guess Im just glad I know were everyone is but im dissappointed that i have to clip their beautiful wings.

2. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    I'm sorry you have to chase them all over creation [​IMG] Clipped wings aren't so bad, besides come moulting they will grow them right back. But the good news is spring is just around the corner and they you can let them out only when the sun is shining. That might keep them home.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Mine lose their mind when it rains too
    All the noise and plying around i think rain is like duckie crack to them [​IMG]

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thats what I told my friend when she found Oak on her dock, that it was like weed to ducks, lol

5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG]

6. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Mine go insane, too. I had friends over the other day when it was raining and they were raising a FIT! My friend asked me why I kept them when they were so noisy, but I had to explain that they just do it when it was raining. She just rolled her eyes, I don't think she believed me.

My Hugo quacks up a storm as soon as it starts to sprinkle. It sounds like she's a witch cackling. So. Loud.

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Mine go nuts and run straight to the pond so I understand why yours would too. Cocoa starts quacking up a storm and won't shut up. [​IMG] They swim and dive around the entire storm is around no matter how bad it is. Here in AZ we charish the rain storms we do get here since there isn't that many. [​IMG]

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    MY Catfish who is a twin to your Coaco is the one at the neighbors pond with one of my new scovie hens.

9. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    You can do the "beauty clip"...clip the feathers you normally would, except for the outermost two....that way, when she has them folded to her body, they still look the same.

10. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    good thing mine are inside ducks. they are such little brats who knows what they's do!!!

my little girl now thins she can do what she wants. everytime i walk in my room she's standing on my pillow wagging her tail... and my drake chased my friend out of my room lol. he's protective of his mom

good luck with your duckies!!! i was going to clip my little girls wings but she just flies around my room lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by