WHY DOES THE CHICKEN.......

MissJames

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Coastal SC
Fill their feeders and waterers with litter? My five week old chicks cover their food and water with litter and then can't get to it.They are elevated about 6 inches. I plan on having hanging feeders in the new coop.Just wondering if they do this on purpose?
hmm.png

lol... Hi,

I don't know if they do it on purpose or not but you are not alone in wondering. I usually feed most in the run but just in case I am late in the morning they have a small feeder in the coup. they constantly fill it with the woodshavings off the floor. I do realise that with their huge feet it is hard not to, when they are scratching around in it when it is fresh, but they seem to target the feeding tray.

I have just spent an hour cleaning out and replenishing their feeder knowing full well that they will do it again, but I don't want them being without, and a quick blow across it now and again will dislodge the shavings.

They are all in there now messing up to suit them again as they seem to thing I have done something sneaky when I take out the litter, and make it all tidy. Guess they are more like me than I though.... lol... Organised chaos is the rule.

Jena.

Last edited:
it's from scratching and bathing in the shavings. they just fly all over. raise up waterers and feeders and then it cuts the problem way down.

i even hang my waterers for the chicks. it just makes life easier!

I agree with Miss Jayne. Chickens do a lot of scratching when they eat, even when their food is in some type of container or bowl. It must be an instinctive behavior.

You could hang the feeders and waterers from the ceiling or build a raised platform on which to sit them.

My chickens did the same when they were young. Now in their coop, I have their water up on a milk crate and their feeder is hanging at chest level. Their feeder stays very clean now. Their water gets a little messy from them determinded to stand on the rim and drink, but I give them fresh water daily.

Such is a life with chickens I suppose.

Quote:
They are both raise up about 6 inches.I move them up as they grow.We will be hanging them in the new coop,but they are inside in a pen right now.
I just wondered if there was a reason for it.....
Oh,and does any other animal POOP as much as a chicken? LOL:p

Back
Top Bottom