Why don't my chickens go broody???

Great pictures! I also have Rhode Island Reds, which are listed as "variable" for setting. My problems with the Buffs is that they seem to be the most susceptible to predators (their bright color, maybe? their docility?). The Reds are the best. We're down to only one buff hen, three rocks, and five reds. (The two roosters are buff and rock, though with our diminished hen population, we should probably go down to only one.)
Do you not keep yours in a coop?

Hens go broody in elevated nesting boxes all the time. A quick search on this on this forum for chicks falling out of nesting boxes and how to move broodies will show you just how common elevated nesting boxes are. In fact I think it tend to be the norm for most coop set ups.

Out of all my breeds Buff O's are consistently most prone to be broody and are the hardest to break. It has a lot to do with the seasons and their hormones.

Has anyone's broody gone broody again while raising her chicks? I just gave my hen some eggs for fun and she tucked them under. Her chicks are 2 weeks old :idunno wondering if this is normal, lol

Back
Top Bottom