Why don't the chickens cross the road?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Village Farm, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Village Farm

Village Farm Out Of The Brooder

My chickens have become enamored of strolling halfway across the road and nestling down on the white stop line at the stop sign. When cars come, they take their sweet time sauntering back onto the grass, if they feel like it.

I can't for the life of me figure out what they're up to. The road is much colder than the grass, for one thing. For another, there's nothing to eat there and the girls are all about the snacking.

Any ideas for a punchline here?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    No food on the other side?

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OK That's too weird.... Cars actually stop for a stop sign in your neighborhood???

Wow!

Oh Yeah the chickens are kinda strange too!

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Very odd !!! You need to get a pic of that, as it sounds funny also !! What town in NH do you live in ?? I'm right above Plymouth !!

I wonder if its somthing about the white line ??

5. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I was expecting this to be a list of answers to the old "Why did the chicken cross the road?" Jokes... Oh well...

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:That was figured out on another post (cant remember where)

ANSWER: B/c there were better looking roosters on the other side !!

Cant belive all these years I didnt know till now !! I feel so much better !! [​IMG]

7. Village Farm

Village Farm Out Of The Brooder

We live in Hancock, a town of about 800.

Everyone knows everyone, which accounts for the fact that many people do actually stop at the sign.

The other side of the road is a former gas station, so there's lots more to eat on our side. In fact, we've got several acres of pasture and woods in which they've shown far less interest than in the road. Besides, stopping in the middle of the road pretty much guarantees nothing to eat.

Oh, well. They're weird in plenty of other ways, too.

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Well, at least they dont lay eggs in the road (they dont right ?) I really would have NO CLUE why they would do that !! Its odd !!! And yes your right chickens are CRAZY !!!!

I would think like you said there is food on your side and none on the other beats me why the wouldnt want the food side !!! LOL !!! How silly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by