Why don't they just go ahead and make a cat/dog food

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by herefordlovinglady, Nov 19, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I get so tired of going in and seeing the dogs eating the cats food and the cats eating the dogs food. It would be so much easier to just have one food for both, and cheaper.

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Might as well make it Dog/Cat/Chicken food, since the chickies are always after the cat food too - gee, makes you wonder what's in that cat food that everyone loves it so much [​IMG]

3. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Mostly because cats will suffer and can die without taurine, plus a couple other things because they are obligate carnivores...and the dogs can eat the cat food but its not ideal nutritionally. I do think though they should make dog food that's chicken or horse poop flavored [​IMG]

I have even seen the deer eating cheap cat food, which tells me just how much corn and grain fillers can be in there!

4. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Maybe that's why the dogs love the chicken poop so much. The annoying thing is that the cat food is more expensive and the dogs clean it out in 1 bite. Turkeys love the cat food too. They haven't found the litter box yet.

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Not having to answer is priceless [​IMG] looks to me the answer is already done. We feed our cat on top of the stand up freezer so our dogs leave his food alone.

6. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    One of our cats falls off of high stuff. We keep one of the sinks in our bathroom full of water for the cats to drink out of. He actually jumped in to the sink full of water by accident. He even fell off the back of the couch when he was laying on it.

7. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    A cat's digestive system is much shorter than a dog's. This is why a dog can eat slightly spoiled food and not get so sick, a cat would become very ill. They require higher protein levels and certain minerals. Cat feces are much richer and stinkier, which is why other animals like to eat it (and cats hide it).
    Slinky

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

We feed our dogs in their crates, and the cats on TOP of the dog's crate [​IMG]
    The cats kept knocking their dish off of the dog's crate, which made a terrible noise not to mention the mess - they liked to do it while I was sleeping too! Nothin like waking up to the BANG of a metal pan on the hardwood!!! So, since we feed dry kibble, I drilled a hole through the bottom of the dish and the top of the dog crate and bolted the feed dish down!!! It works!

When we first got my Lab-o-monster he would bring me empty feed bowls all the time (not even his)
    I think he was desperate this night, but I was ignoring him
    [​IMG]

Since we started raw feeding, he has gained some weight and no longer brings me empty food bowls, so I don't have to bolt them down! ROFL

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Our zoo's macaw used to drop his metal food bowl onto the concrete of his run every time I went into the bird enclosure. Finally the staff wised up and bought him a non-droppable bowl. It sure made a racket and startled me when he did it! LOL

My dog loves to bring me his bowl. If he's not hungry, I mean if it's not feeding time, we play fetch with it, or he plays with it like a ball. He's goofy.

10. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Dogs and cats have different digestive abilities and also need differing nutritional needs. For instance: cats can go blind from eating dog food. It may not happen right way, but damage is done and can range from some vision problems to blindness. There are many reasons that cats and dogs do not and can not eat the same exact foods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by