1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

why don't they survive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dragontamer56, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dragontamer56

dragontamer56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I put thirteen eggs in my incubator and only three hatched. I opened the eggs on the 25 day and 1 chick died on like day 19 it had everything developed and part of the yolk was absorbed. then another was probably like 16. then there were a lot that died on like day 10 or so with only a little devoloped. I was turning them 3 times a day and the temp stayed at 99-100 and the humididty was 40-55 then 60-70 on lockdown. What did i do wrong?

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    What type of incubator were you using? Still air or forced? What brand? Were the eggs from your chickens? Shipped?

Nate

3. dragontamer56

Apr 13, 2011
    i am using a hovabator with still are and an egg turner. the eggs were from my own chickens.

4. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    I know somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the still air incubators are supposed to be run at a little higher temp than that.

5. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Do you candle on day 10? That's when most died. Did they get too hot? Something else during the process?

6. dragontamer56

Apr 13, 2011
    Ya I candles on day ten and all of them lOoked fertile and good.

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it all comes down to the temp and not much to do with the humidity. Where you put the temp gauges will only tell you the temp in that spot of the bator and at that level. Which is the key "at that level"!!! Meaning the top of the egg, the middle of the egg, the bottom of the egg, and inside the egg will all be at different temps. When they get moved from the auto-turner and then layed flat for lock down, well the temp is totally different at that level of height inside the bator.

8. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

7.Sign
    : Dead embryos; 3 to 6 days of incubation; yolk sac circulatory system present, embryo on left side, no egg tooth. Causes:

a.See causes 3.1-14

b.Lack of ventilation, or sealed shells, carbon dioxide >1%.

c.Improper turning -- <1/h or >6/h; improper turning angle.

d.Vitamin deficiencies -- vitamin E, riboflavin, biotin, pantothenic acid, or linoleic acid.

9.Sign: Dead embryos; 7 to 17 days of incubation; each embryo has egg tooth, toenails, feather follicles (8 days), feathers (11 days). Causes:

a.Improper incubator temperature, humidity, turning, ventilation. Low humidity increases abnormalities of aortic arches (13 days).

b.Contamination.

c.Nutritional deficiencies -- riboflavin, vitamin B12, biotin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, boron, or linoleic acid.

d.Lethal genes (>30 have been described).

You temperatures were within normal range.
    Your humidity was a little high but not extrememly so.
    I'd be evaluating your flocks health and diet.
    What is the their diet like?
    They need a good quantity of animal protein to obtain the vitamins needed to make healthy babies.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by