why don't they survive?

dragontamer56

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
I put thirteen eggs in my incubator and only three hatched. I opened the eggs on the 25 day and 1 chick died on like day 19 it had everything developed and part of the yolk was absorbed. then another was probably like 16. then there were a lot that died on like day 10 or so with only a little devoloped. I was turning them 3 times a day and the temp stayed at 99-100 and the humididty was 40-55 then 60-70 on lockdown. What did i do wrong?

i am using a hovabator with still are and an egg turner. the eggs were from my own chickens.

I think it all comes down to the temp and not much to do with the humidity. Where you put the temp gauges will only tell you the temp in that spot of the bator and at that level. Which is the key "at that level"!!! Meaning the top of the egg, the middle of the egg, the bottom of the egg, and inside the egg will all be at different temps. When they get moved from the auto-turner and then layed flat for lock down, well the temp is totally different at that level of height inside the bator.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

7.Sign
: Dead embryos; 3 to 6 days of incubation; yolk sac circulatory system present, embryo on left side, no egg tooth. Causes:

a.See causes 3.1-14

b.Lack of ventilation, or sealed shells, carbon dioxide >1%.

c.Improper turning -- <1/h or >6/h; improper turning angle.

d.Vitamin deficiencies -- vitamin E, riboflavin, biotin, pantothenic acid, or linoleic acid.

9.Sign: Dead embryos; 7 to 17 days of incubation; each embryo has egg tooth, toenails, feather follicles (8 days), feathers (11 days). Causes:

a.Improper incubator temperature, humidity, turning, ventilation. Low humidity increases abnormalities of aortic arches (13 days).

b.Contamination.

c.Nutritional deficiencies -- riboflavin, vitamin B12, biotin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, boron, or linoleic acid.

d.Lethal genes (>30 have been described).

You temperatures were within normal range.
Your humidity was a little high but not extrememly so.
I'd be evaluating your flocks health and diet.
What is the their diet like?
They need a good quantity of animal protein to obtain the vitamins needed to make healthy babies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom