1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why dub in OEGB and MOdern Game?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SebrightLover, Dec 13, 2007.

1. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    I really want to get into OEGB, but have problems with being "required" to dub the roos to show. Why was this practice started?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It was originally for that bloodsport that shall not be mentioned and is illegal in 49/50 states...
    Editted for spelling error...d'oh!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

So, see if I understand, now a days the dubing has become more or less a traditional thing that no longer serves any real purpose other than a particular appearance for the show bird.

4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Curios. What is involved in dubbing?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Basically, you cut off the comb close to the head. Wattles, too, I think. They make "dubbing shears" for that purpose. Nowadays, it's like cutting a Doberman's ears to show, only for appearance sake. This site tells how to do it:
    http://www.slipspurbantams.com/Dubbing.htm

6. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    hmmm ....

What states is it illegal to dub in?

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    It's not illegal to dub in any states that I know of. It is illegal to participate in the unmentioned bloodsport as SpottedCrow noted.

Edited to add that dubbing could be done as protection against frostbite, for individuals who own birds up north that are prone to it (large single-combs)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  8. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks chickngurl hadn't thought about the idea of frostbite. Never experienced frostbite with any of my birds before.....of course, I am too far south and my Ameraucana do not have large combs either. Good point though about a legit reason for dubbing. Soonerdog

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I just learned what this was yesterday. I likened it to topping and tailing a doberman for looks.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Would you get REALLY hurt in a show if you didn't do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by