Why egg anomalies now?

corriemartin

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Lawrence, KS
I have eleven hens which have been laying regularly for months (between 7 and 11 eggs/day), and now suddenly yesterday one of the 11 eggs had no shell and another was enormous (like it had two yolks in it), both things which I haven't seen since they started laying. What's going on?

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
It’s normal. Chickens lay wonky eggs from time to time. Put out free choice oyster shells, maybe the one who laid the soft egg is lacking in calcium? But otherwise no need to worry.

black_cat

👒🐮💐
Premium Feather Member
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I have eleven hens which have been laying regularly for months (between 7 and 11 eggs/day), and now suddenly yesterday one of the 11 eggs had no shell and another was enormous (like it had two yolks in it), both things which I haven't seen since they started laying. What's going on?
Eggs can get weird as they're slowing down production for winter and molting. Same when they start back up laying again in spring.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
Any changes in diet?

corriemartin

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Lawrence, KS
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
Any changes in diet?
They're seven months old, no changes in diet. They'd been laying steadily since the end of July. And it was only that one day before they were back to laying their regular eggs.

Top Bottom