Why Goats?

Quote:
Yes, if you read up on them enough. They need to be wormed regularly, they need to stay out of places that could harm them, they need to stay away from poultry feed, and they need to be dehorned, otherwise they can hurt themselves and others. You must make sure your place is "Goat-Proof"
wink.png

"Goat Proof" - What do you mean? No sharp objects? Sounds like child-proof...

We want to get goats too... mainly, as far as my DH is concerned, for a lawnmower... But they are so cute! I want one for the milk too and whatever else they can provide so I don't have to buy!

Goats have been on my radar for a while... just trying to figure out what I want... I am thinking like pygora or nigora for fiber and dairy... DH wants to raise a couple of feeder pigs too.

We have goats just to have them. Jason has an old goat that was dumped he's about 10 now. And he bought me 2 fainting goat crosses last year. I would love to get into goats for milk purposes, perhaps when we build up the farm a bit more.

Is there even such a thing as goat proof?

Our older goat lives down with the horses. Everyone gets stalled at night and he shares about 1/4 of the barn with one of our mares. Every so often we have 3 ticked off horses as the goat is laying in the middle of the pasture sunning himself first thing in the morning--and they are stuck in because he figured out a way to get himself out, leaving the horses behind lol.

The fainting goats are in their own pen for now
smile.png

My husband has always wanted goats. Now that we live in the country and have a lot of brush and blackberries, they finally made a lot of sense. I make soap and would like to make cheese so it seemed like a great way to have a way to do that and also to become more self sufficient. I learned most of what I needed to know about goats online, mostly at the sister sites to BYC, Backyard Herds and Sufficient Self. Lots of great advice, wonderful people especially on SS.
love.gif

What we did not expect is that we would LOVE having the goats so much. We also really love our chickens and ducks and were surprised, but the goats are the one animal we cannot think about using for meat. They have too much personality and we do not have the desire to eat them, although we understand people who do. We have not milked ours yet (first kids are due in February) but we are really looking forward to it, not thinking about it being a chore. We love spending time with them.

So overall, I'd say they are not hard to raise, if you are "into" it....and they are tons of fun, but they do tie you down. Ours are for entertainment, brush clearing and hopefully some milk....would have to get back to you on that one............

I want some. Just have to wait until I have everything set up for them.
I would love them for milk, meat and brush.
But... hubby will not drink goats milk or eat them. Thank you Iraq for screwing him up.
roll.png

The kids and I will just enjoy them and maybe after a while the hubby will get over himself.
I have plenty of grass and brush for them to feast upon. Just not sure how I would contain them in the brush area as it is alone the waterline. And well I am not going to be building a fence into the marsh.

"They" say when moving to a more self sustaining lifestyle it usually begins with composting, to gardening, then chickens...but then what?

Rabbits of course. Provide fresh lean meat for your family year round.​

To be quite honest, I think *some* people get goats because they've taken a look at what their practical needs are and goats will fill some of those need well... but an awful lot of folks, especially on these forums, seem to get them more because they are craving an accumulation of farm-y animals and goats seem like a fairly cheap/easy/cute/friendly thing to have around. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that; but there is a big difference (to me) between getting them for a practical purpose that goats are better than any other option for, versus getting them because you want to feel all pioneer-days-y and picturesque. No offense meant to anyone, and totally not meaning to *diss* feeling pioneer-y and picturesque
wink.png

Quote:
In addition to what people have said already, note that you will need pretty good coyote-proof fencing arrangements, round here. That means reliable high-voltage electric on at least the top of the fence, and something to discourage digging under it. (Or other arrangements for keeping lotsa goats on a more 'farm' scale, but that doesn't seem to be what you're considering)

Pat, who wanted something for milk for cheese and came *this* close to getting goats but ended up with sheep instead

on the "what next" comment i have to agree with meat rabbits, the healthiest meat their is is rabbit and they are typiclaly "easy" (and can also be raised for sale as pets and fiber depending on your breeds of choice.

on the goats issue, i plan to have goats when i get my own place for primailty brush clearing and milk production (ill only be keeping does), goats milk agrees with my system better and i love goats milk cheese and soap...remember though a doe needs to be bred to produce milk, so you need a plan for what to do with the kids...selling them is definatly an option, but theres always the risk that a baby wont sell, plus youve got all the risks associated with a pregnant/labouring animal and all the car the kids will require...

it all depends on what YOU want from your goats.
dairy
meat
fiber

all can fall into the pet category...

all are great for weed/brush reduction (terrible lawn-mowers though, you want sheep if your mostly grass)
all will produce milk (meat and fiber are just lower producing)
all can be used to eat...some are just quicker growing/meatier than other breeds...
fiber breeds...

ive heard good and bad things about the pygora (pygmy x angora) some have great fiber, others dont...they do typically make fairly good meaties because of the pygmy (which are a meat breed belive it or not) i think if your going to go fiber, id stick to the angora.

there are alot of mixed breeds developed for multi use...
itll also depend on your space and available funds...

goats need STRONG fencing, ive never known of a goat that hasnt at least once in their life tested the fence and even the dwarf breeds are incredibly strong.
goats are also like 2 yr olds, they will test test test and find every weak spot lol.

i love goats through, awesoem personalities and alot of fun to be around...
oh and intact males are INCREDIBLY smelly during breeding season!

Does anyone know if there is a 'goat treat' page like we have on BYC? My neighbor behind us has just gotten 2 goats, and my son is determined to make friends, but they are quite skittish still. Is there a treat that they just don't turn down? We've tried apples and carrots, but they just don't seem interested!

Back
Top Bottom