Why have chickens?

Thanks!
I’m not reading this anymore. I read enough encouraging people and I don’t need the negative things other people are saying. It should be my responsibility to do the job if I allowed the hens to hatch chicks 😔
Embrace the negativity and help to educate the protected and uninformed with the reality of life. Don't let others bring you down when you aren't doing anything wrong. If anyone wants them as pets I have no problem with them doing that.

Gotta learn to just scroll by...since BYC seems to mostly populated with 'pet' chicken owners.

Then maybe you should not participate in a thread that talks about it. ;)

I put my first off for 4 months (cockerel in his own coop section) over winter while I researched technique and equipment. The first is the hardest, not to say it ever gets 'easy' to kill a chicken, but the satisfaction of filling your own freezer and responsibly taking care of extra males from hatching is priceless.
Thanks 😍

I don't feel that heavy remorse and guilt that people assume everyone needs to feel to be a normal person when I cull, whether to process or because the bird is old and no longer has a use. I feel bad for a few moments before I push it away. It's just a fact of my life. I can have a bird for 8 years, but if they need to be moved on and can't be rehomed, then I gotta do what you've gotta do.

I don't feel that heavy remorse and guilt that people assume everyone needs to feel to be a normal person when I cull, whether to process or because the bird is old and no longer has a use. I feel bad for a few moments before I push it away. It's just a fact of my life. I can have a bird for 8 years, but if they need to be moved on and can't be rehomed, then I gotta do what you've gotta do.
That's exactly what I was trying to say, well said :)

Back
Top Bottom