why have my chickens stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hardy Hen, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Hardy Hen

Hardy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    my chickens have stopped laying since the begining of Oct. what's up?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Probably the shorter days. Possibly exacerbated by a molt if they've been doing that too. No problem, just wait til later in the winter [​IMG]

Pat

3. F.L Buff

F.L Buff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    They usually slow down on laying during winter. Sometimes stop laying completely!

4. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Let me guess: first autumn with chickens?

daylight hours have dropped, so they have stopped laying and have likely started to moult (annual change of feathers)

Get a light with a timer, set it up so that they get a total of 14 hours of daylight (better to set it up to run in the morning so they roost naturally in the evening).

If you set up lights it will still take 2 - 4 weeks to get them laying again.

If you don't set up a light, you'll get a few eggs starting near Christmas and they'll hit full stride by March.

temperature does not affect laying, daylight does

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    yup daylight and cold weather.

6. Hardy Hen

Hardy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    could it be because of internal laying? i posted a question under emrgencies/diseases and i had someone say that 1 of my chickens who is sick could have internal laying. please look at my post and see if you know what's wrong with her. thanks for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by