why have my ducks stopped laying?

canaan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
only have a handful of ducks that like to sleep in the chicken coop witht he other birds. they have always been pretty consistent egg layers until a couple weeks ago.

they would make a nest below the chicken boxes and we'd collect everything at the same time, etc.. at first i thought they might have found a new spot, but i kept the pen closed for a few days and still found nothing. so i know they are not going anywhere else, they just plain stopped laying. they're only about 1 -1 1/2 yrs old.

so anyone know whats going on?

If they are molting, they will temporarily stop.

Mine slam their vents shut in protest at the first cold snap, but soon get over it.

hmmmm, i am having a similar problem. I only have one duck and she was laying very consistetly, but i havent gotten an egg in almost a week!!!

I wonder if she's laying them somewhere else, but shes usually an early layer, and they are still locked up.... hmmm....

hi all... they are cayuga, rouen, and pekin.

i didnt know they would/could stop all together. its not even all that cold... as i am pretty sure they layed throughout the cold last fall/winter.

slowing down ( like the chickens ) would be one thing, i guess...

but i didnt know if they were done for good or not... didnt seem like they should be.

I'm going through this too, the last eggs I saw were in mid August!! They all went into a molt then but I thought molts usually don't last more than six weeks. They have looked like they are completely finished molting for a while now. I also have two new hens that are not quite old enough to start so I have some hope yet.
Here are some other thoughts:
*Terry Lacy mentioned in a post that it's the first year ducks she expects eggs from in winter. Three of my hens are over a year old.
*People usually figure the reason ducks don't lay as much in winter because of the cold, but Holderread and the breeder I know say the amount of daylight the ducks get has a large impact too. I lock my ducks up in a dark house every night and I am reluctant to let them out before 7 am because I worry their noise may bother the neighbors too early.
*Sometime there can be a lack of nutrients in their diet.
*The breed of duck you have matters too, as Wifezilla said. Some are much more seasonal layers.

Back
Top Bottom