Why have the brown eggers stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tthompson, Nov 26, 2009.

1. tthompson

tthompson New Egg

Jul 1, 2009
    I am new to chickens and their laying habits. Our little flock started laying in August. I have six hens, and up until two weeks ago I was getting 4-6 eggs a day. Now, I get 2, 1 or 0 a day. It's funny. I have four who lay various shades of brown, one who lays a pinkish/purplish egg, and one who lays a green. The brown egg layers have totally stopped laying. I still get the pinkish and the green egg almost every day. I've heard it may be the cold weather, but it's not that cold where I live. It could also be that they're molting, but why only the brown egg layers?

Breeds? Here's what I THINK I have:
    1 Rhode Island Red
    2 Gold Sex (isn't that a mix of some kind?)
    1 labeled as a New Hampshire (but she's brown and speckled and I don't think she was labeled right)
    2 black - The black chicks were placed in the same section called Americauna and Astrolorp. They are both colored the same, but one has a funny rump, but with a tail pointing down. The other is just shaped like a common hen.

My husband is sure the speckled "New Hampshire" is laying the green egg. I haven't a clue who lays the pink one. If I ever find out for sure what I have, when it comes time to replace hens, I'll replace them with the pink/green layers.

Any questions/comments? I guess I just wanted to tell my egg story. Thanks.

2. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    i dont know why ur brown eggers arnt laying but if ur husband says that the "New Hampshire" is the one laying the green egg, pretty sure that its not a New Hampshire, its probably an Americauna or Easter Egger. Never heard of a New Hampshire laying green eggs before... [​IMG]

3. Davis5454

Davis5454 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Mine have slowed down too....I went from 12~18 per day down to 8~10.

Less daylight can do it. Shorter days will slow them down and increasing the amount of light (artificially) can help.

I've also noticed when there is a big temperature change that the same happens for a short time. Especially in the heat...they just quit till it cools down below 90 or so degrees.

This will be our first winter with chickens....so we'll learn together.

4. Davis5454

Davis5454 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    PS - my Buff Orphs seem to be more impacted than my Austrolorps. I didn't figure they would be quite as finicky as they are....good birds.....but not as steady as the Lorps.

5. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    Are they moulting? We supplement with just a few hours of artificial light (a light on a timer in the coop). Our Austrolorp and EE have been laying regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by