Why haven´t my chickens layed in months?

Skywarita

Songster
5 Years
Jul 14, 2018
Portugal
Hello backyard chickeners!!

I have two beatiful chickens who are usually happy, cheerful and active. Lately, since autumn and *almost here* winter came around the corner, they have been very sad and not active at all.They barely eat, poop liquidy (sometimes) and NEVER lay eggs!! Actually, this whole year, only one egg would show up everyday.... and since around september there hasnt been a single egg. I am very worried for their wellbeing....
One of the is actually moulting, and I noticed she only likes to eat corn and cat food as of now.... She wont eat veggies. Her pal doesnt either....

What should I do? I just dewormed them too. Thank you for any help in advance :)

they might be depressed by shorting day times (December 21 tomorrow will be the shortest). I has been said that chickens require 14days of day light to lay well unless they under 1 year old. It gets dark 4:30pm where I am now, so I have light inside the coop turning on timer at 4pm and off 9pm.

Those that are molting they won't lay either. Those that become broody won't lay themself plus encourage half of the rest chickens not to lay..

What kind of chicken feed are you feeding them? Any signs of illness?.
We usually feed them corn, home grown cabbage, rice, and rests of foods that we eat in the previous day (always chicken friendly food like vegies, fruit, grains...) and now also cat food in a can!)
But it seems its not enough. I will be getting chicken protein mix!

they might be depressed by shorting day times (December 21 tomorrow will be the shortest). I has been said that chickens require 14days of day light to lay well unless they under 1 year old. It gets dark 4:30pm where I am now, so I have light inside the coop turning on timer at 4pm and off 9pm.

Those that are molting they won't lay either. Those that become broody won't lay themself plus encourage half of the rest chickens not to lay..
thank you so much for the info. that makes a lot of sense and i do believe they are depressed

We usually feed them corn, home grown cabbage, rice, and rests of foods that we eat in the previous day (always chicken friendly food like vegies, fruit, grains...) and now also cat food in a can!)
But it seems its not enough. I will be getting chicken protein mix!
Yes, that's an excellent idea.
Your chickens are starving, they so need the vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are formulated for chickens. rice is nutritionally devoid, and cabbage isn't much better.

I agree with others here, they need a good nutritious diet. Supplements (such as veggies or certain leftovers/compost) to this are good, but if you decide not to go with a conventional or organic feed, then you need to follow proven recipes and combinations of food that give them all the nutrients they need (which can be difficult to do). Get them back on a good conventional or organic chicken feed - all flock preferably until they lay again then switching to layer if you only have hens. They will normally break for a molt this time of year, but shouldn’t look sick or depressed.

I agree with others here, they need a good nutritious diet. Supplements (such as veggies or certain leftovers/compost) to this are good, but if you decide not to go with a conventional or organic feed, then you need to follow proven recipes and combinations of food that give them all the nutrients they need (which can be difficult to do). Get them back on a good conventional or organic chicken feed - all flock preferably until they lay again then switching to layer if you only have hens. They will normally break for a molt this time of year, but shouldn’t look sick or depressed.
thank you so much, I will do this!! I am just worried because I recently noticed she might have vent gleet; but I will take her to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom