Why I chose ducks. Why did you?

blshanatic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Michigan
I chose ducks for not only the obvious egg laying and chicks but they bring me peace. Listening to the goings on inside our home with the step monsters behaving badly and trying to blame all that is wrong in life on "dads girlfriend", I can escape to my ducks for a few minutes of peace. I watch them and realize they are so simple minded, yet very complicated. They remind me of life and bring me back to appreciate my life as a whole.

Why did you choose ducks over chickens besides stating the obvious?

LOL....you won't like my answer but I want to eat some of them when they start propagating. They are humorous creatures though. The bantam ducks are my favorite.

Hope things get better with the children. If you let them see they are frustrating you then they win.

Reasons: Health, egg laying ability, self sufficiency and cuter than chickens. (At least to me)

Since we got the girls 7 weeks ago I discovered the peace and humor they bring to my days. They are hilarious and interesting. I could sit and watch them all day.

I love having ducks and am already thinking of ways to increase the pen size so we can have more!

Sfraker: I am also making the same plans! We have had 2 Pekin adults for a year and have 3 baby Pekins 5 weeks old. We have plans for a nice enclosure we will be starting in a few weeks.

I have ducks and chickens. I got the chickens way before the ducks though. I went to a friends house and they had ducks as pets that would waddle around their yard and come up to you to be pet. So I guess I got them for their personality compared to chickens (although I do have a chicken who is more affectionate than my ducks). I have two blue swedish and one black swedish and they follow me around any time I'm in their pen and beg for pets. I also like going out their after school every day to do my homework. It helps me focus when I am able to sit out there and listen to them swim and quack and splash around. Between them and my chickens happily clucking away, they make life so much less stressful. :)

Yesterday I built a temporary pen for them to be outside as much as they can. I also built it in a location that the two adults may notice them while they're free grazing in the yard. I have spent most of my morning trying to do little things to make it more "natural" so they are more prepared for their permanent home in a few weeks.

All of the attention, effort, and excitement I've put into them has earned me the nickname "duck girl" from the my coworkers and boyfriend. Lol I love raising them!

Last edited:
Reasons: Health, egg laying ability, self sufficiency and cuter than chickens. (At least to me)

Since we got the girls 7 weeks ago I discovered the peace and humor they bring to my days. They are hilarious and interesting. I could sit and watch them all day.

I love having ducks and am already thinking of ways to increase the pen size so we can have more!
Perfectly said!! They just make me Happy!!! We have 3 almost 5 wk olds; 1 female Pekin, 1 female Khaki Campbell & 1 hopefully female Magpie! All have different personalities. Our Magpie is the most affectionate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom