Why i do not want GMO in my food or my pets food

Status
Not open for further replies.
I an anti-GMO for two very simple reasons. The first reason is less to do with the fact that the crops are genetically modified and more to do with HOW--if I'm not happy with the quantity of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals being used on crops now, why would I want crops that are modified so that they can survive the application of even MORE chemicals? Most of the GMO's I've been hearing about aren't modified to have larger yields or be resistant to disease--they're modified so that farmers can spray more roundup crap on them without killing them. That idea does not appeal to me.

The second reason is the way these huge companies *coughMonsantocough* destroy farmers' liveliehoods. If you're a farmer growing soybeans in a field next to a farmer who grows Monsanto's GMO soybeans, and the breeze carries pollen from that GMO field onto yours, if you save the seeds from your OWN CROP, you are considered a criminal. We have become a country where huge corporations are allowed to tell an American citizen what to do with his own crop, where someone is punished as a thief because of the direction of the wind, and where we are not allowed to provide for ourselves--we either buy from the big, all-powerful corporation, or we don't grow food at all.

There's also the small matter of some genuinely scary GMO's going on, like putting human genes into food that is grown openly in the great outdoors and can then cross-pollinate with anything withing blowing distance of the wind. How do you feel about human liver genes in your next bowl of rice? We have no way to control where this GMO "data" gets carried by the wind, what it cross-pollinates with, or what long-term effect it may have on us and our food supply. We're not taking the time to test these things, or what effects they may have before just chucking them into our entire food supply. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of our food supply--our ENTIRE food supply--being the guinea pig for every GMO frankestein they can come up with.

I think the science of genetically modifying organisms is fascinating and potentially very useful, but anything we create needs to be tested thoroughly BEFORE being inflicted on the public. It needs to be labeled clearly, so that we the people can make informed choices, and it needs to be changes that are actually of benefit rather than just trudging down the same failing road we've been on for decades with pesticide and herbicide resistance. Also, the American people need to be guaranteed the right to preserve and produce our own food so that monsters like Monsanto can't come and and tell us what to do with our own crops. It's one thing to hold a customer to contract who purchased your product, but to go to his neighbor who has never bought a Monsanto product and take him to court for violating your patent because the wind blew your pollen onto HIS field... That's just BS. I cannot support GMO's as long as that continues to happen.
So well said, and you spoke for many of us here.

Quote:

This had NOTHING to do with seed

This one has NOTHING to do with seed at alL
Quote:
Same with this one

Quote:
More MISinformation and alarmist hype, but NOTHING verifying your claim
Quote:

This had NOTHING to do with seed

This one has NOTHING to do with seed at alL

Same with this one

More MISinformation and alarmist hype, but NOTHING verifying your claim
You said "this had Nothing to do with the seed" Answer: This is the patent number for the seed that is being talked about.

All of the url's are on the seed and the SUBJECT of which we are talking about here.

You probably didn't read any of them, just want to sound off.

It's okay, life is short. No worries.

mg

Quote: No, it's a patent number for gene technology
I read enough of each link to see they did nothing to verify your original statement

Quote:

None of the links you posted talked about "plants that won't produce seed", which is what you stated

Quote:
What plants use this?

Last edited:
I would prefer to have a CHOICE as to if I want to eat or give my animals GMO crops. In my mind, if a genetically modified corn contains properties that cause the insides of a pest insect to explode when they ingest it......ummm.... I know the affect is geared towards insect pests, but isn't there a chance that such a "food" isn't as healthy for humans/animals to eat as regular corn? Also, since Monsanto has so much power within our government food safety programs......isn't that like a fox guarding the hen house? Monsanto's claim that their seed is good for the environment because it decreases pesticide use has not been proven long term, and in my area, the farmers here now use MORE chemicals than they did before they switched to GMO seed. The sugar beets are more water hungry and there is more leaf wilt when it gets hot during the summer. They look so sad. What chemicals will Monsanto unleash once the insects become immune? What kind of proper testing can we expect from a company that is out for the dollar?

Just a thought. LABEL IT, please.

A tree limb could fall on my head and kill me in a flat second when I'm outside with my pets and I would have no choice in the matter. I could get hit by a bus being driven by a busdriver who isn't paying attention, or a faulty brake system. I wouldn't have a choice in that either. I have the choice whether I would like to eat GMO foods and feed them to my husband or pets as well.

My choice is - we are all going to die of something, at some point in time. If GMO is proven to be toxic or otherwise negatively impact the human body - oh well, my bad. As for me and my family we'll stick with what we know, and what we know is what we like to eat and we'll keep eating it. I could give a backwards flying reindeer's bohonkus otherwise, especially when true and actual research regarding GMO (and not someone's conspiracy theory/fear syndrome) all points in a safe direction. Thus far GMO has been proven to be safe for consumption in regard to the foods that are readily available in the open market(s).

Attempting to cause mass hysteria by telling people to run for their lives in the opposite direction as GMO is just as bad as telling someone not to sleep with a feather pillow because they may swallow a feather in their sleep and it may or may not lodge in their throat and that may or may not cause injury which may or may not become infected which may or may not spread, which may or may not be treatable, etc.

Last edited:
Hi,
GMO

If you do not have cancer, do you take chemotherapy ?

If you take personal risks with your health and become sick,
do you deserve the best health care ? And, who should pay for that ?

just because it is labeled "organic" do NOT mean it's non-GMO. Organic simply means it was grown with out the use of pesticides and herbicides, and contains at least 95% Organic ingredients. The other 5% could be GMO and non organic ingredients. Search for 100% organic and look the for certified "non-GMO project verified" label. Even on human food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom