Why is it important for chickens to roost at night?

NightsInWhiteSilkies

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 3, 2011
I mean what if they end up sleeping on the floor of the coop? What is the big deal?
I have silkies and wonder if they get older and dont roost what is the big deal if they sleep on the floor of the coop. I mean as long as I keep it clean it doesnt seem to really matter as long as their safe and inside thier coop.

lol.png

It seems that way doesnt it?
I just didnt know if it was something for health reasons for the chicken to get them to roost but if it really isnt a big deal then they can sleep wherever their hearts desire as far as Im concerned.

Quote:
Usual concern in respect to predators does not apply. What does apply is how they void waste. When setting on ground, they tend to deficate and stand / sit in it. Such is likely to soil feathers, espcially with silkies.

I would create a minnie roost that is maybe 4" off floor. Gets them off poo yet does not challenge limited flying ability.

I did request the roost be lower than normal for them so Ill email the guy making it and ask him to do 4 inches!
Thankyou Centrarchid for all of your replys to my private pms to you over the past few weeks.
Youve been very helpful and non judgemental in some of my ideas and kind, knowledgable with your replys to me!
I didnt want to burn you out with all my newbie questions. LOL!!!

It matters because it isn't good for their feet to lie flat like that, they can get a condition called 'duck foot'. Their feet are designed to grip a rounded perch when they roost. If you provide them with a perch made from a 1 1/2-2" tree limb or a rounded over 1x3 or 2x4 and place them on it now and then, their instinct to roost will eventually take over and they will begin to roost. It should be 1 1/2-2' off the floor of the coop and higher than their nesting boxes.

Last edited:
Okay, thats good to know. I know when I had exotic birds the same was for them with their claws and sitting on their perches helped with that.
Do you need to trim chickens nails? I know with exotics I had to take them in a few months or so and get their nails trimmed. Does the same apply to chickens or how do they keep their nails from not growing overly long?
Im sorry if Im sounding like a newbie but I am a newbie to all this. lol...

Well... a kazillion give or take a couple years.

Chickens keep their nails trimmed down while doing all that pecking and scratching and such. They won't need any pedicures, although they would love the warm water soaks.

Back
Top Bottom