Why is it that for easter we look for eggs, bunnies dont lay eggs lol

Quote:
because when the traditions were made up (pagan holiday, Spring Solstice, not Christ's Birth) rabbits were used for human pregnancy tests.

it just became a story, a reason for people to convert to Christian beliefs without giving up traditions. the meanings were changed.

It's also supposed to be because Rabbits and Eggs are good symbols of fertility.

There is a Pagan story to the effect of a hare falling in love with a goddess and in order to gain her affections he laid colored eggs for her. I'm really hacking the story to pieces there bringing it down to one sentance but if you'd like to know more you can google it.

As per Wiki...

The Easter Bunny as an Easter symbol seems to have its origins in Alsace and southwestern Germany, where it was first mentioned in German writings in the 1600s. The first edible Easter Bunnies were made in Germany during the early 1800s, and were made of pastry and sugar.

The Easter Bunny was introduced to America by the German settlers who arrived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 1700s.[2] The arrival of the "Oschter Haws" (a phonetic transcription of the German Osterhase [3]) was considered one of "childhood's greatest pleasure," similar to the arrival of Kris Kringle (from the German Christkindl) on Christmas Eve.

According to the tradition, children would build brightly colored nests, often out of caps and bonnets, in secluded areas of their homes. The Oschter Haws would, if the children had been good, lay brightly colored eggs in the nest. As the tradition spread, the nest has become the manufactured, modern Easter basket, and the placing of the nest in a secluded area has become the tradition of hiding baskets

Quote:

Eggs is a symbol of new life, renewal, (Spring) in many cultures.

However bunny is probably mostly American thing, Disney?

I may be wrong about that one.

Any Easter historians here?

Cocoa Puffs anyone?

Seriously though, when my kids want a certain morning breakfast cereal, they ask for Bunny Poo.
lau.gif

I'm really rusty on my Sunday school stuff but, Mary Magdalene gave a plain egg to Tiberius to show Christ has risien. He laughed and the egg turned red (blood). Second story was there was a basket of eggs placed by the two Marys under the cross that was covered with His blood. Again the rebirth and renewal. The bunny? A pre-Christian nod to their fertility in spring. Green eggs- new foliage of spring, red eggs- Christ.

Colby

Back
Top Bottom