Why is mom violently pecking her chicks

JerseyShoreGirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
My RIR went broody and hatched out 1 little chick, and still has 6 eggs she's sitting on. I candled them and something's inside, but none others hatched yet. Our first chick hatched yesterday and my hen was sitting on it like an egg, ok, but when it tried to walk she went after it! She pecked it about 15 times in less than 10 seconds. I took it from her, and now the baby's in a brooder in the house. But I'm so worried another will hatch and I won't get to it in time. Why is she doing this? And I'm checking on her and the nest every hour, but most of these eggs aren't hers. She only laid one and took the other hens eggs in the coop. Also, I took a pic of the baby's bottom, not sure if it's a breed you can tell sex when first hatched, but maybe someone will know.
Thank You

Last edited:
Take them out of the coop and raise them yourself.I have a friend and her hen did the same thing and the hen killed all of her chicks,so better safe than sorry.Sorry I can't help more.

Im having thr exact same thing at the moment and REALLLLLY NEED some help and advice we have a little chick born yesterday mum rejected it and was violently pecking it. We took it inside and it looked verry verry weak, we kept it in a box over night with some damp towel in the box to help moisture and left it on a warm radiator its perked up today but.... It still looks weak, its now 28hrs old and still really wobbly on its feet, tonight we made a bugger box with wood shavings in nd gve it some mash and water and also gave her a lill friend, we decieded to put her big sister in with her who is three days older than her to see if this would encourage her, it seems to have worked however keeping the heating on is proving a verry hot for us human folk and also costing a packet now the chick is fluffy does it still need to be hot all the time.. And can anyone give any more advice as to what to do over the following few days :)

Like I said it is best to raise them yourself.The hen will kill them,most likely anyways.I'm not saying it a bad hen but that's just nature.:(

I'm having thr exact same thing at the moment and REALLLLLY NEED some help and advice we have a little chick born yesterday mum rejected it and was violently pecking it. We took it inside and it looked verry verry weak, we kept it in a box over night with some damp towel in the box to help moisture and left it on a warm radiator its perked up today but.... It still looks weak, its now 28hrs old and still really wobbly on its feet, tonight we made a bugger box with wood shavings in nd gve it some mash and water and also gave her a lill friend, we decieded to put her big sister in with her who is three days older than her to see if this would encourage her, it seems to have worked however keeping the heating on is proving a verry hot for us human folk and also costing a packet now the chick is fluffy does it still need to be hot all the time.. And can anyone give any more advice as to what to do over the following few days
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks Here is a link that you might find helpful. Instead of using the radiator, set up a heat lamp. They are pretty cheap and you can find them at an hardware store or farm store. I keep a thermometer handy to help me position the lamp so that it isn't too hot. If you are only feeding your chicks starter feed, they won't need any grit. I'm sorry, I can't help any with the hen troubles. I have zero experience with that.

Back
Top Bottom