Why is my 16 week old hen crowing? Or is SHE not a hen, lol?

Hopeful Peacock

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
middle TN
I have 2 batches of chicks. One is now 16 weeks old, and the younger is now 12 weeks. The younger batch contains 2 roos (out of 6 birds) and the olders are all hens (I hope!) - 9 of them. However, one or two of my older girls have begun to crow in the mornings. I had read someplace that sometimes hens will act like roos if there are no roos around. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I am really hoping that none of my girls are really boys!
tongue.gif

Last edited:
But there are roos around.

I had a "crowing" hen, only once. The noise she made did sound a bit like a crow, but it really wasn't.

Sorry.

Pictures would help
big_smile.png
I'm sure we would be able to tell you right away if you have a roo or not. I DID have a crowing/mating hen and like the other poster...only one time. She was indeed a hen because she was laying eggs so it CAN happen but pics will help for sure
big_smile.png

Dunno about OP without a pic, but that sounded like a crow in the video - I think that second one is a roo. Yes, occasionally hens do crow, especially if they HAD a roo and now he's gone.. but 99% of the time when someone says 'my 16 week old hen is crowing', it's a roo.
tongue.png

Here is my OE, who just started laying. She didn't get that red until a week or two ago - 20+ weeks old.
51848_oe2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom