Why is my chicken squeeking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhodeislandred1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. rhodeislandred1

rhodeislandred1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    Today when she was eating, she kept on squeeking, a high pitched noise ive never heard before from her.
    Could it be from the cold, eating too fast, scared, saw a mouse (we have a mice problem eating their food at night :( ), or what?
    I am scared for her :(

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a chicken that should have been a pig, every time she eats she does this. I just means she got dust/food up her nose [​IMG]

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, as long as she's not doing it outside of eating time, I agree, all of my hens might do this if their feed is really dusty or if I'm spreading new bedding.

4. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I have a couple of hens that will squeek when they are at the food dish. Don't be too concerned. Its normal.

5. rhodeislandred1

Oct 27, 2012
    Thanks guys :)

6. Sgtfirstwife

Sgtfirstwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Stedman
    My hens do this too. To me it is like they are really enjoying their food. Like hmmmm, hmmmm, this is so good.

7. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    the mouse u saw? it will be food for your hens soon enough; there is nothing like a mouse steak for a hen... they love mice , not afraid of mice.

8. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    haha yeah mine have done that too! i think its more of a 'i ate my food too quickly and i'm having trouble trying to swallow all of it' kinda thing. its pretty normal, i would not be worried!

9. rhodeislandred1

Oct 27, 2012
    haha XD

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes a squeak can be a cough or sneeze in chickens. If it persists or others develop the squeak, look up Infectious Bronchitis (IB) in poultry respiratory diseases. Hopefully, yours was just a fluke or a normal noise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by