Why is my drake mean??

halecards

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Ok, so my 6 ducks have been together since the day they hatched...there are 3 females and 3 males. Anyway, lately I've noticed that the two pekin males will chase the black Swedish male around! One time I came home and the pekin had the black swedish's neck in his mouth (or bill)! Why is this starting to happen? Is it the while dominance thing? How can I stop it? I'm worried something very serious could happen if it isn't stopped
barnie.gif
thanks!

Quote:
X 2 If they have access to swimming water, the two pekins could very well drown the black Swedish.

this is what male animals do, fight for dominance. If you don't want to get more or get rid of 2 then you will have to pen them up in pairs. they won't like that though.

Your males hormones are kicking in. They will start fighting even more even to the death in some cases. Your hens will probably become over bred or possibly drowned. The only way to stop it is rehome some of the males or add more hens.

What everyone said is true. That is definitely too many drakes. Someone is going to get badly hurt or killed. Can you make pen up the drakes and the hens separately. I am sure you don't want to get rid of your boys, so maybe separating the sexes might help settle the issue. It is so tough when things like that happen.
Good luck.

I have 3 and 3 (hens and drakes). They have separate houses or the drakes would kill the hens do to "over attention". Through August/September we had to keep them separate entirely. Now they forage in their pen during the day together just fine until breeding frenzy kicks in again.

Well......hubby says no more ducks. And we would have to have a bigger hen house if I get more ducks. I want an Ancona, WH, Rouen....etc. Would also like to breed the Magpies.
big_smile.png
We will separate them in the Spring.

Unless I can find a way to convince the spouse that three eggs a day is just not enough for two people! And that I will dispatch any excess drakes if I decide to breed the Magpies. He's not buying it at this point (neither am I!) Or get rid of two of my drakes....not likely, they are more personable than the hens - most of the time. Love my drakes even if they are nasty!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! They haven't been as bad this week than they have the past few weeks, so maybe it's starting to slow down. The hens (or one at least) has started laying so would that have anything to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom