Why is my hen gasping with her comb turning purple?

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
I have a Black Australorp Hen who will be three years old on this April 28th. A month or so ago she started to kinda shy away from… everything. Her abdomen was swollen, but I didn’t really give any thought to it until a day ago when she started stretching out her neck with a little strangled gasp. It really scared me. Her comb is turning purple as well. She’s always been pretty fragile, but she’s my favorite chicken. Everything similar that I’ve seen on here said that the chicken in question died, so I really don’t know what to do.
Also, I don’t know if this is relevant, but there are some new quills on her brood patch that were snapped off near the base, and she‘s been gathering a lot of dung on the feathers around her vent.
Please help!

Gasping sounds like she is having difficulty breathing and the comb color is usually a sign that she is extremely sick.

Is her abdomen still swollen? It's called ascites and it can be cause be reproductive issues, liver or heart failure.
There's no permanent treatment, you may want to consider putting her down.
I'm very sorry.
Is her abdomen still swollen? It's called ascites and it can be cause be reproductive issues, liver or heart failure.
There's no permanent treatment, you may want to consider putting her down.
I'm very sorry.
Yes, she’s still swollen. Her comb sort of goes back and forth between purple and normal red. Is ascites contagious? I have a quarantine space, and getting away from the other birds (I have six in all) might be good I suppose.

A purplish comb points to hen not getting enough oxygen and bad circulation. The only hens I have had that have done this were elderly ones just before they passed away.
I hope you were able to assist her.

A purplish comb points to hen not getting enough oxygen and bad circulation. The only hens I have had that have done this were elderly ones just before they passed away.
I hope you were able to assist her.
Do you know how I help her with the oxygen??

The only way is to treat the reason behind it, age plays a factor which cannot be addressed, possible infection which can be treated with antibiotics, possible anaemia resulting from bleeding or infestation of mites/lice feeding on blood of chicken - treat infestation and feed with food high in b vitamins and iron, supplementation with brewers yeast which is high in b vitamins however I find feeding scrambled egg which contains b vitamins and iron or raw egg yolk is highly beneficial to poorly chicks and chickens.
However there are many conditions which cannot be treated such as heart problems, avian influenza, age so please don't get your hopes up. It sounds as if your chicken is very poorly.
I also use oregano and thyme as natural antibiotics aswell as coconut oil which is a antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal. Just a few things which may or may not help.
All my suggestions are only from my experience or knowledge. I am not a vet and cannot diagnose or treat just offer personal opinions from my experience.
If you are very attached to this hen it may be worth seeing a vet.
I'll keep everything crossed for you while I try and keep one of my new chicks alive also.

The only way is to treat the reason behind it, age plays a factor which cannot be addressed, possible infection which can be treated with antibiotics, possible anaemia resulting from bleeding or infestation of mites/lice feeding on blood of chicken - treat infestation and feed with food high in b vitamins and iron, supplementation with brewers yeast which is high in b vitamins however I find feeding scrambled egg which contains b vitamins and iron or raw egg yolk is highly beneficial to poorly chicks and chickens.
However there are many conditions which cannot be treated such as heart problems, avian influenza, age so please don't get your hopes up. It sounds as if your chicken is very poorly.
I also use oregano and thyme as natural antibiotics aswell as coconut oil which is a antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal. Just a few things which may or may not help.
All my suggestions are only from my experience or knowledge. I am not a vet and cannot diagnose or treat just offer personal opinions from my experience.
If you are very attached to this hen it may be worth seeing a vet.
I'll keep everything crossed for you while I try and keep one of my new chicks alive also.
Okay, and thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom