Why is my hen not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smileygreen64, Apr 11, 2017.

1. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I have a pair of gold laced orpingtons. When I got them, they went to the quarantine coop. I wormed them with valbazen. She didn't lay for about the first week, which was normal since she was relocated. Then she layed two eggs that I threw out since they had been given the valbazen. When I moved her up with the rest of the chickens she stopped laying again, but its been over a month now. She has plenty of water and food. She gets the same as everyone else and no problems with the others laying. Does anyone have any ideas as to why she stopped or what I can do to help out?

She eats layer feed and she isn't molting. She has a nest box. I put fake eggs in it, but no luck. No signs of illness.

I got the pair at an auction, so I am not sure on age. I guess its possible I got her last two eggs, but I hope not. I was hoping to hatch her eggs.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some more fancy varieties of breeds tend to not lay very much, and being she was at an auction usually means there's a reason she was sold.

There's not much you can do to make her lay. Hopefully she gives you a few more after she settles in more.

I wouldn't feed layer to a hen who is not laying. Sometimes feeding something higher in protein can jumpstart the system. I like a good all flock ration with 18-22% protein. Extra calcium needs can be met by keeping a separate bowl of oyster shells free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by