Why is my hen suddenly biting me?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Platy04, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Platy04

Platy04 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    All of my hens have been nice until a day ago. I went in the coop with my flip flops on and one of my Americana hens ran up and bit me. When I tried to reach out to her she bit me again. She's still acting aggresive today. I believe she's one of the lower ranked hens in the pecking order and I already have a rooster. I have never been mean to her. My hens have just started laying eggs. Is there a soulution to this and will she grow out of it? Thanks.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    She'll likely stop it, but don't worry about a gentle or not so gentle fending off with your leg. Not sure why she's doing it but themselves chickens for you. :)

Ct

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Interesting, did she peck at the toes? Is she broody?

Have had my small 3 YO flock since they were babies and the only time I have had an issue is with sweater buttons , pecking at blue jean threads, jewelry or enthusiastic about expected treats.

4. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Have you painted your toes a different color than usual? Do you have a mole or freckle on your foot? I don't wear flip-flops in the coop for that very reason, they love to peck at freckles and nail polish.

5. Platy04

Platy04 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    I dont have nail polish or anything on my feet or hands that would make her want to bite them. The way she bites is hard she holds onto my skin. I still have red marks from yesterday. How would I know if shes broody? I don't think she has layed an egg yet so maybe she's about to lay her first egg and is grumpy?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You might try wearing regular shoes or even boots, to see if she is after your flip flops or you period

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

2 of the red sex links I have in my flock were biters. They would grab and twist any skin they could get and that really did hurt. I started picking them up every time they did it (which they hated at first), then I would let them go once they settled down. Now they know if they try to bite, they're going to get picked up and it's really settled them down. One of them is my best lap sitting girl. The other one I'm still working with but she's a lot better now and doesn't try it very often.

If you let them get away with it or act scared of them, they'll probably continue doing it. You just have to kind of remind them of who is in charge.

Good luck!

9. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    My chickens hate it when I paint my toe nails.

(so does my wife)

1 person likes this.
  10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Maybe she wouldn't hate it quite so much if you'd get your own polish and quit running off with hers!

Bad Joe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by