Why is my roo not crowing anymore??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jencleg, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I just realized that my Marly has not crowed in a few days...we had a hawk scare last week, is this why??

2. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Mine stopped crowing for over a week after one of the girls was killed by a raccoon in the middle of the afternoon. We figured he was either traumatized, or the girls told him to shut up and quite drawing so much attention to everyone.... Since starting back up, he crows about every half hour almost all day long, so my guess is he was traumatized and now he is trying to convince all creatures great and small that he is the king of the world.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Mine has shut up completely. Haven't heard anything from him is 2 weeks. I thought the time change got to him.[​IMG]

4. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Is he going through a bad molt? Molting can really stress a rooster.
    Predators can also do this to them.

5. littleluciex

littleluciex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Wauchula
    I didn't know that they this, good information everyone [​IMG] It was all quiet in the coop this morning, I thought I got all my roosters, but 2 are still suspect, hmmm

6. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Nope. No molting. The hawk scare was on Wed, and all has been quiet since then. The hawk actually got into an adjoining pen and attatcked one of my chicks, but he tried like crazy to scare it off & out of the pen. Still no crow this morning...wonder how long it'll last?

7. Mr. Nappy

Mr. Nappy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Good boy!! Hope he'll be himself again soon.
    I think chickens are aware of their noise in regards to predators. Maybe he's trying to be incognito for a while, so as not to attract any unwanted attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by