Why is my Rooster crowing during the day?

shannara200

Songster
9 Years
Sep 16, 2012
Hello everyone, I am a ameture backyard chicken person. About a month ago I got 5 hens and a rooster for my coop and so far my family enjoys their behavior, my parents visit from Florida just to enjoy the chickens and farm area. Well my rooster crows in the morning like in the movies but now also crows during the day...not sure why but he does.

Anyone know why? don't say it's stress, he is the only male in the yard with five healthy feathered females all to himself and between the kitchen scraps my parents give them, the all day free ranging and high quality layer food I buy they eat like royalty. So why does he crow?? is he thanking god for the great life? is he letting everyone that he is the man and he knows it? or... is he try to complete the last step or driving the humans out of the house and off the property so he can declare it all for himslef???

Please advise Thanks
lau.gif

Roosters crowing only in the morning is really just the movies. It is one of the common misconceptions about roosters. In reality roosters crow all the time. There is nothing wrong. The behavior is normal. It is why they are illegal in a lot of cities.

They crow at any time for any reason. Usually it is "marking" his territory. I have 2 neighbors with 3 roosters. All of our roosters get into crowing competitions. It is quite comical. They will crow too to let flock members know where he is.

Roosters crow whenever they feel like it, for the most part, although some crow all day long, while others crow more in the morning and start to settle down a bit after that, but even those ones will crow during other parts of the day.

They crow at any time for any reason. Usually it is "marking" his territory. I have 2 neighbors with 3 roosters. All of our roosters get into crowing competitions. It is quite comical. They will crow too to let flock members know where he is.

I have 3 roosters and they often seem to have crow competitions! Roos crow all the time, that's just what they do!

I have 3 roosters and they often seem to have crow competitions! Roos crow all the time, that's just what they do!

I have one boy that will crow back at me (yes I look at him and crow), then its on cause there are many folks 'roun' here with chickens, and everyone has to be the last to crow, or so it seems. My boy crows back at me, 6 or so others call back to him!

There's nothing funnier than going into the Chicken Barn and Crowing. It sets off every Rooster in the barn and flips out most of the humans.

Roosters can crow any time, especially if they want laid.

Tired of the crowing? wring their necks and slap them on the grill.

Back
Top Bottom