Why is my rooster crowing in the middle of the night???!!!

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
From time to time I've heard one of my roosters do a little crow sometime between midnight and 2am, but last night one rooster in particular, which I am positive is my Sebright roo, was crowing somewhere around 2 or 3 in the morning, but he kept going, and going, and...you get the picture. Nothing that I knew of was out there. I know sometimes people in town, their dogs will bark. I have one neighbor about a block and a half away that owns approximately 37 dogs. I live in a little bitty town of only about 50 people, and my town is only 4 blocks long, so people MUST be hearing my roo, and that bothers me. Is there a reason for it? Does anyone know how I can get him to stop? I don't need my neighbors hating me. If anyone has some advice, please, share! I need him to NOT do that ever again!

***On a side note, my neighbors across the street have roosters too, but theirs never crow in the middle of the night.

Because roosters are insane
tongue.png

Mine starts crowing every morning two hours before dawn.

mine does the same thing, he starts crowing around 2 in the morning and doesn't slow down until about 9 in the morning. But thankfully mine isn't directly in my back yard, so he doesn't wake me up, but if i am up i can hear him Also we have a shop that has a huge dusk to dawn light on it that i'm pretty sure is the problem with my rooster.

Sometimes if you go outside while your rooster is crowing late at night you can hear other roos in the distance crowing back. It's their way of saying "Helloooooooo, I'm over heeeeeeeere!"

Other times, they're just doing what the little voices in their heads tell them to do.

Could be other roos, lights, cars going by, predators getting close- really, any number of things can trigger a rooster to crow.

My bantam Golden Sebright is by far the noisiest of my 7 roos.

We had the same problem several months ago. Our old rooster Ricky (RIP), started crowing every night around 3am. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. One night, I finally saw what it was. A stray cat was going in and out of our barn, probably to get warm or to catch mice.

When the weather warmed up, the cat went away and we had no more problems.

Laurie

I am still trying to figure out what is causing it. I do think that the fact that the next door neighbor has the light pole in her backyard and on the lightpole is a floorlight that the electric company put up there. My coop faces her yard because it's the direction from which the wind hits the coop the least. My mom suggested turning the coop that direction so they wouldn't get hit full on by Northern winds in the winter. Also, that same neighbor keeps all her cats outside, and she has A LOT of cats. They are in my yard all night long, though they don't mess with the birds. They just hunt around my yard for frogs and mice. My birds aren't afraid of the cats. Heck, my bullies walk right up to the cats and peck them if they don't immediately turn tail and run! We do have coyotes around here, and racoons, etc, but so far I have not seen a racoon in my yard, and the coyotes haven't been in town in months. We always know when they are here cause my neighbor two blocks away (small town of 50 people, other end of town is 4 blocks away!) has 37 dogs, all of which he keeps outside, and when they hear anything, they start barking. If they smell a coyote, they go nuts. And almost all of them are beagle mixes. So you can imagine how loud they can get! I haven't physically seen a coyote in town since about March. I know that somewhere near here there is a weasel, but I haven't seen that one in almost a year either. This morning they didn't start crowing til around 6 and they stopped once the sun started to actually rise. I figure if they crow at 6, the neighbors can't really complain cause it's morning. But the middle of the night, that bothers even me. I put the coop far back from the house but I can still here them with my window open. I'm wondering if there's a way to cover the front of the coop, only at night, to block the light, and prevent them from seeing the cats walking around. I'll give it a few more nights and start keeping a record of what times they crow, see if I'm seeing a pattern. At least I know I'm not the only one with a middle of the night crower!

Back
Top Bottom