Why is my rooster in the nest box?

All my roosters have done and do do this.
smile.png
It's a common behavior that they do to help the hens along. To me it is SOO cute, especially the sounds they make when doing it!
love.gif

New member here! But I had to comment. My Silkie rooster will find a dark spot, nesting box,behind a hedge etc., as long as it is dark and small and he sits down and starts this cooing,purring noise at any girl who walks past. If she is tempted to come in his cooing and purring goes into a frenzy,and then he will just sit quietly with her. It really is sweet to watch and listen to but I have no real idea as to why he does it!
idunno.gif

That is sweet. I have a rooster that is sitting with our only hen today. I have been watching them from the house and he will check the nest every so often. Our hen is getting underneath him at times...seems strange, but maybe they are just making sure everything is just right. Maybe she will go broody and hatch some babies.
smile.png
- twindaddy43's Wife
jumpy.gif

I'm a new user and stumbled upon this topic while trying to figure out what my rooster was up too! I happened to be in the coop when our hen was getting ready to lay and noticed one of our roosters in a nesting box making noises! I know understand what he was doing.

Thank you for your insight....i had the same question...my White leghorn rooster in the coop...just starring at the two hens..and making grrrrrr..noises...i thought he was trying to rush them out..then he layed in the other coop. trying to lay an egg like a (copy cat) or rather copy hen...or maybe he wanted to pick at a egg and try to eat it...i was just waiting....but good new he was egging a special hen to have her egg....her first egg after chicks were born 4/13..i love them..they are so amusing they surprise me all the time...kathy...

My rooster also do this.... roosters do the purring sound to tell the hens that he found a good and safe place for them to lay their eggs.... he encourages them to lay in that particular place he found.... its a completely normal behaviour....

My rooster also do this.... roosters do the purring sound to tell the hens that he found a good and safe place for them to lay their eggs.... he encourages them to lay in that particular place he found.... its a completely normal behaviour....
This would ring true of a good leader rooster. They try to direct all the hens actions. Where to get food. When and where to go to bed. When to get up. When it's safe. When it's dangerous. It's their nature to run the show.

Hi. I'm new here, but I saw your post when I was searching on this subject. My rooster has been doing this all week and I can not figure out why. I've taken him out, he jumps back in. He cuddles down on top of the mamma hen and sits on the eggs next to her. I really don't know what he is thinking.:cd

Back
Top Bottom