Why is my rooster pecking my new hen repeatedly?

StephensonC

Songster
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Richmond, Va
I have a Japanese Bantam that has always been well behaved with me and his girls, but I've recently added a new hen and he pecks at her neck and back repeatedly when they go in to roost at night. All the other hens pick on her too. I realize they are trying to establish a pecking order, but I don't understand why the rooster pecks on her so bad when they roost. She tries her best to hide under his wing, but all he does is pecks at her (hard). What is going on with him?

I had the same problem with my chickens. Once the rooster stars to peak and she is bleeding he will want to keep doing it. My mom had to saperat them. As soon as we let her go it was like he didn't care. I also have a pet turkey and the hens peck at his behind until he is bleeding we had to also saperat them to. The are doing better at not pecking. So maybe just try to saperat them and see how it works!

Sounds like she is intruding on his personal roosting space and upsetting the roosting order, often chickens (especially in small flocks) have certain places/order where they roost, and the dominant birds get the best spots and they like to have a certain amount of personal space... the new hen for some reason has decided she wants to roost by the roo, and he would rather not have her there. Double check that they have plenty of roosting space so she has other places to go. As long as he isn't doing any damage, you could just leave them alone and either she will get the hint or he will give up and accept her there.

That makes sense. They do have lots of room in their roosting area. I think she wants to roost beside him for protection from the other hens. There are 4 Barred Rocks and 1 Olive Egger that are just down right mean to her. She is an Americana and is very docile. I'm hoping they will all work things out quickly. I try not to interfere unless there is bloodshed. I will give it a few more days then move her to the larger flock if necessary. Thank you for your reply! There is so much here to learn. I am loving the forum!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom