Why is my rooster so bad at dancing?

Maybe it's the orpington? I believe they are known to be "slower" developing, right? I got 2 accidental roos, 1 welsummer and 1 black orpington. The welsummer was crowing and acting like a proper rooster (ish) at 11 weeks. My orpington just crowed this week (17 weeks) and other than that is completely unaware that he is any different that all the hens. And the ladies don't know that he's a rooster yet either. So, IDK how old he is, but maybe he is just exponentially slower?
He certainly took longer to get bigger! I spent a few weeks thinking he was a bantam... Until I walked out and saw he was no longer little. He was MASSIVE! It's almost intimidating for me since I'm 5'4'' šŸ˜‚ He's really dang tall now and is just now starting to grow out his flashy tail feathers. He was also the last one to start crowing just a month after Zazu started. I suppose it is true. Only took a week for Trifle to crow when I first rescued him (he's an egger bantam). I guess it IS a breed thing. I always wanted an Orpington and I got one. Guess I know what I signed up for.

Yeah, mine is huge now too. He's getting gorgeous feathers on his tail. But he has no suave. He is the first one in the coop at night to make sure he gets the spot on the highest roost that he wants. He also does not alert anyone to treats. Instead he grabs the entire thing and runs away. He also likes to sneak up behind the others and pluck out a butt feather when they're not paying attention. Real lady killer...

Attachments

• 20230729_131525.jpg
    20230729_131525.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 9
Sooo... All my roosters of my little flock are super gorgeous when they dance. My welsummer, Zazu, is all handsome and flashy when he dances for his sweet Bambi. Trifle does a cute shuffle for ol' Truffles, etc. But my Orpington, Sunny... When he dances, he does it very a quick second. Only doing one wing instead of both, which makes him look extremely goofy and clumsy. I always laugh about it but because of this he's failing to get a lady for himself. He tried to dance for Truffles and she was NOT impressed, even chased him off!! Goldie, my other Orpington, WAS interested in him until she saw the horrible dance. šŸ˜‚ For some reason I assumed all roosters are pro dancers but he's proven me wrong with his awkward little shuffle. He barely puts any effort in and I wanna know if anyone else's does this. I don't think he's unhealthy, in fact, all my roosters are very active, bright, and happy. So... Is he just.. a bit different? Because.. wow... Bless his heart. šŸ˜† (I REALLY wish I had gotten a video but he always stops when I pull my phone out!)
My Orpington rooster is 3 years old now. He's built like a line backer. Only a short 1 wing dance. It's the girls that don't like to take part. Considering his size I can see their point of view. However, before he got so large the females act like silly teenage girls. They are vocal in rebelling.
My Australorp family are quiet, act like royalty (walking straight up). They don't want to be picked up, but will enter the coop on their own if you insist.
Australorp eggs are thinner (even with supplements. Orpington eggs are smooth & strong.
Pros & cons with everything.
P.S. Australorp doesn't have to dance, he just mounts. No fight from the ladies. But then he isn't a big brut.
That's just for starters in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom