Why is no one laying yet??

franrose

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 16, 2010
I have eight chickens (6 still of laying age) and no one is laying. Usually they take a break min-Nov to Dec and start again in early January.
Strange! I live in Oregon and it's practically spring here already. Very mild climate and the day length is increasing rapidly.
What do I say to "the girls." I have two ducks. They are laying everyday!

Range in age from 2-8 years. Breeds: Buff Orphington, Black Australorp, Silver-laced Wyandotte, Dark Brahma, Rhode Island Red, Dominique.

I would go out to the coop with an empty egg carton in one hand and a stew pot in the other and explain to "the girls" that one way or the other you are having chicken for dinner.
wink.png

Is anyone molting? It was my understanding that most take a break in the winter, which has more to do with light than with temperatures. Also, I would think your older girls are probably slowing down. This is my first year, so I'm no expert, but I only have two laying presently because two are finishing up a molt...

Quote:
At 2 to 8 years. I'd be surprised that anyone over three would be laying very much.

Try a dose of Nutri Drench. Not that I've used it. Or some vitamins and check the date on your feed. Also hold back on your treats if you've increased those or think it might be to many.

I have had all except the Brhm and rir. The others did not strike me as great layers. I no longer have the Aussies and SLW's. The other are two and still laying but not as much as my Delawares.

A great deal depends on how healthy they are going into a molt. Considering the differences in age and breeds seems strange none of them is laying. Though the older they are the longer it takes to recover from a molt I think.

Hope thing improve soon

Rancher

Kind of strange too . . . only the Silver-laced Wyandotte molted this year.

Back
Top Bottom