Why is raising chicks so addictive!?

Violanna

Songster
Nov 25, 2022
DFW Texas
So back in October we got our first 12 chicks. We live on just under a half acre and have 4 dogs so we are only able to have a small coop in a 10x13 run. So we kept 4 chickens and for Christmas gave 8 to my in laws to start their own coop as they have acreage. Well February is here and everyone is obsessed with their chickens. So this week we are bringing in 8 more chicks, and next week 2 ducks and 3 more chicks. We will keep the ducks and the 11 chicks will go to my in laws when grown. I’ll be posting pictures as soon as we get them all! This is definitely the best venture we have ever gotten into!

So the 4 we have are 2 Easter Eggers, Raven and Fluffernutter(Fluffy). A Rhode Island Red, Caramel. And a Buff Orpington, Princess Peach.

We will be adding:
3 Salmon Faverolles
3 California Greys
2 Ancona
2 Blue Cuckoo Marans
1 Buff Minorca
And 2 unknown ducks(assorted ST)

Tell me a bit about your start!

Why? Because they are so beautiful! And fun. And funny. And lay so many different color eggs. And they are so different. I mean of course you have to have EEs! But you also need Silver and Gold Laced Wyandottes, right? And Black Australorps and White Leghorns. And Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons. And, and, AND! This is what they call Chicken Math. Also known as Obsessive Chickening. I just need one more, but TSC only sells in minimums of threes. .. and hatcheries charge a fee if you don't buy at least what, 15? I need dark chocolate eggs and olive eggers, and meat birds and quail, and what about ducks?

Sigh, I'm hopeless. Sign me up for All Cluckers Anonymous. As soon as I complete this order form ...

So back in October we got our first 12 chicks. We live on just under a half acre and have 4 dogs so we are only able to have a small coop in a 10x13 run. So we kept 4 chickens and for Christmas gave 8 to my in laws to start their own coop as they have acreage. Well February is here and everyone is obsessed with their chickens. So this week we are bringing in 8 more chicks, and next week 2 ducks and 3 more chicks. We will keep the ducks and the 11 chicks will go to my in laws when grown. I’ll be posting pictures as soon as we get them all! This is definitely the best venture we have ever gotten into!

So the 4 we have are 2 Easter Eggers, Raven and Fluffernutter(Fluffy). A Rhode Island Red, Caramel. And a Buff Orpington, Princess Peach.

We will be adding:
3 Salmon Faverolles
3 California Greys
2 Ancona
2 Blue Cuckoo Marans
1 Buff Minorca
And 2 unknown ducks(assorted ST)

Tell me a bit about your start!
Welcome to BYC!! I started with a group of 10, 5 BOs and 5 BRs, very good starter birds that lived a long time. :)

Back
Top Bottom