Why is she moulting so often?

cnd8

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Since April, my hen has moulted three times (this time being the third). Why would she moult so often? She never has a drastic moult like I see pictures of. I can never see her skin. But her coop will be feathers wall to wall for about three weeks or so. Any ideas? Why so often?

It's normal for some family lines to moult gradually, and it can seem to occur in staggered periods. She sounds like a gradual moulter. I prefer this trait personally, I find my hens are more productive when they don't have that drastic moult that leaves them bare and needy for longer periods, less demand on the system overall.

Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not so sure she is a gradual moulter, as you suggest. I suppose so, but I would assume they'd continue laying at some interval if they were gradual moulters. She stops laying completely with each moult for weeks at a time.

Could there be something else making her moult? I just didnt expect her to moult so frequently. I was under the impression that it is an annual event.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not so sure she is a gradual moulter, as you suggest. I suppose so, but I would assume they'd continue laying at some interval if they were gradual moulters. She stops laying completely with each moult for weeks at a time.

Could there be something else making her moult? I just didnt expect her to moult so frequently. I was under the impression that it is an annual event.

Whether the hen keeps laying while moulting, or stops, and the time periods for cessation, all depends on everything from genetics to diet and environment.

You say 'hen' and 'her coop' --- am I right in assuming she is a single hen, and lives alone? Stress can cause some to moult, since they're social animals. Just a thought.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom