Why is she sneezing and honking???? Help please!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My silkie is broody and well I out her in the run and she was stressing because I wouldnt let her back into the box. She was eating and then stopped honked and sneezed twice. She did it again but wasnt eating the second time. This was the day before yesterday. And today she made a werid noise but it was loud. Agian she was stressing because she couldnt get privacy trying to be broody. Remind you we are trying to break her.

Sounds like a potential respiratory issue. I will move this to the emergency and disease forums, and hopefully someone can help out.

1608992198047.png
I found this on google typing in honking noises from chickens. This is someone else thread but is the same this happing to my silkie. She eats so fast that was does this. She is broody for the first time so

I've occasionally had a honking hen. It usually lasts a day or two and I think it's from something stuck in the throat as you mentioned. As long as you aren't hearing any wheezing or seeing any discharge than it may be okay.

Have you tried to moisten the feed. That may help it go down better. Pick it up, and discard any uneaten feed after a bit so it doesn't mold.

Silkies are always broody. :)

I've occasionally had a honking hen. It usually lasts a day or two and I think it's from something stuck in the throat as you mentioned. As long as you aren't hearing any wheezing or seeing any discharge than it may be okay.

Have you tried to moisten the feed. That may help it go down better. Pick it up, and discard any uneaten feed after a bit so it doesn't mold.

Silkies are always broody. :)
Its winter so I dont want it to freeze but I cant add some warm water to it so it's a little moistened. Shes getting a bath today and keeping her in a cage as well so we can break the broodiness.

I think it’s a broody hen things with the honking sounds. The sneezing could be from dusty bedding/litter that you’re using. I personally don’t believe this is a respiratory infection unless she’s showing any other symptoms.

Thank you. Just now she was eating again but really fast because she's broody and wants to get back to the nest. She was eating stopped sneezed a couple of times and then did a really loud deep car horn maybe noise idk how to explain it. And then sneezed a lot after that.Shes getting a bath today because she has poop matted into her feathers and shes staying inside for a couple days (in my house). What should I try and treat her with while shes inside?

Back
Top Bottom